Chapter 3

It was Saturday morning at the University, everyone was busy and mostly the first-year students who were making all the necessary preparation for their welcome party bash that was organised by the student union of the university to socially welcome the new student and introduce them with those of continuous years. Lisa was busy picking clothes she had spread all over her bed, her roommate Sarah sat on her bed reading a novel.

"Aren't you going to the party?" Lisa asked

"No dear, I'll just stay here."

"Why? Everyone is going, this place will be deserted. Aren't you scared of staying alone?"
"I'll be fine" Sarah replied and went on reading her novel.

Lisa didn't comment further but she wasn't done with her. She went on picking clothes and trying them and each time shrugging her shoulder in disagreement with the choice. She spent nearly an hour before finally deciding what to wear; she then folded her clothes back neatly and returned them to her cupboard. "Here, try that and let me see how it looks on you." Lisa gave Sarah one of her dress to try.

"Lisa, I'm not going." Sarah replied putting the dress beside her.

"I didn't say you have to go, I just can't make up my mind between the two so I need to see it on someone so I can make a choice and after all we are same size."
Sarah didn't want to argue with her so she got off the bed and tried the dress; it fitted her so perfectly as if it was tailored specifically for her.

"The dress doesn't look that good on me as it is you." Lisa said, "You can have it." And she went out of the room. Sarah stood in front of the mirror and stared at her reflection; she definitely liked what she saw but was not so convinced if she wanted to be seen by everyone else.

Few minutes later while Sarah was still looking herself on the mirror, Lisa returned with high heeled shoes, one was wedge, she handed it to Sarah to try it on with the dress.

"I can't wear shoes this high, how will I walk?" Sarah said while looking at the shoes she was now holding; in her mind she could see herself falling right on the ground the moment she was on them she even smiled to herself with that image on her mind. She returned the shoes to Lisa who refused to take them.

"Just put them on. No one said you have to walk on them."

"What exactly are you trying to achieve? Giving me your dress and now the shoes? I hope you understood when I said am not going to this party."

"You can't be serious. Just look at the mirror, you look stunning. And it's just a party with classmate and other student what's the harm?"

"I just don't want too. You can just go with Emma and Radhia, they too are excited about tonight." With that Sarah sat back on bed and went on reading. Lisa was beyond puzzled she couldn't understand how a person can refuse to go and have fun while in college. "At least I tried." Lisa thought. I'll be at Radhia's place" and off she went.

Sarah got up removed the dress and went back to her reading.

*****************

It was past 6pm when Sarah got up; she had fallen asleep while reading her novel. She stretched her hand and grabs the watch lying on her bedside table, looking at the time and placed it back. Outside her room she could here noises and movement which made her realize that the one's going to the party had not left yet. She looked to see if Lisa had returned to the room but no signs that showed she did. She went back to sleep, got up again at 9:30pm. The voice had now reduced so she decided to get up and went for a bath, after dressing up she went out to get food, almost all cafeteria had closed so she had to go and find food out of the campus. On her way to the rear gate of the campus she saw the remaining group getting to the bus, she couldn't help but wonder the way the girls where dressing and she could only imagine how Lisa, her roommate has dressed. She went to the nearest food stands and dinners to see if she could salvage any think to eat but all she could find was barbecue meat and French fries, she decided to go for chicken and roast bananas thus moved to a food stand that had lesser cue and had what she wanted. On reaching the stand she gave her order. And went to sit on the available table just nearby. Few minute later a handsome guy who definitely wasn't new to the area asked if he could sit on the empty chair across hers and Sarah had no objection about it. The guy sat down and went on teasing and talking to people who passed by. The guy then turned to Sarah, "Hi!" he greeted Sarah who was quietly sat waiting for her food. "Hi!" Sarah answered back without even taking a look at him.