#39: Forever Falls Apart - Part I

Start from the beginning

"Good morning," he said calmly, forcing a smile.

"Hey. I brought you the groceries," said Thor, showing him the shopping bag he was holding.

"You know you don't have to do this."

"I want to do it, brother; I've explained that again. You're going through a hard period of your life and-"

"... and you just want to help. I know, and I am grateful." Indeed, he really was grateful. No matter what he said, he needed Thor's help. If Thor didn't go to the supermarket to bring basic stuff, Loki doubted he'd do it himself.

The God of Thunder approached him, looking at the baby in Loki's arms. "Well, how is my little niece doing?" he asked joyfully.

"She's fine; I just fed her," replied Loki, and the corner of his lips curved up slightly. "Will you stay?"

"No, I'd love to, but I have to go to the compound; the Avengers need me."

"Yeah, right. I'm sorry, I forgot." Say it. "Speaking of the Avengers... There's something I need to tell you." When Thor said nothing, he continued. "I don't think I can join the team again."

"Why not?" asked Thor, vividly surprised.

Loki took a deep breath. "It's a dangerous job, Thor, and now that Y/N is gone, I'm all my daughter has left. Imagine that something happens to me; she'll be on her own. I can't do that to her."

Thor's expression was pensive. He knit his eyebrows and then, a few seconds later, he said, "You're right, brother. I hadn't thought of that before, but it makes much sense."

"Well, I guess I have to find a job then," Loki concluded.

"You don't--I can help you-"

"No. I should not burden you more than I already do. I'm an adult--I can do this. Maybe not for a few months till she gets a little older, but then I can make it." Can you?

"Okay then, if you say so." Thor looked down at the child. "Have you found a name for her?"

"I've thought of something, but I'm not entirely sure."

Thor glanced at the clock on the opposite wall. "I have to go. Have a good day," he said and turned around.

I doubt it. "You too," Loki greeted him back as the older Odinson opened the door and stepped out. He looked down at his daughter, and a small smile peaked on his lips. "Eira," he whispered, and it sounded even more perfect as he looked at the little girl's smiling face. Only you can heal my heart.

×××

Flashback

They were happy together. Why did Y/N have to go? Damn S.H.I.E.L.D. and their bloody 'secret undercover mission.' There were hundreds, thousands of agents in S.H.I.E.L.D., why did they choose her? She had born a child, and they hadn't even extended her maternity leave--not even after they were informed that she had been experiencing postpartum fatigue--and then they sent her away because the agent who was to be sent on the mission was injured on another one and had been in a coma. But Y/N had a family--a husband and a child. Director Fury, no matter how much both Loki and Y/N begged him, didn't change his mind. As though he wanted them to suffer... Don't be paranoid, Loki thought to himself. But he couldn't help but think that Fury hated them--hated him.

"How long will all this take? When will she come back?" Loki asked him.

The God of Mischief was practically struggling not to start shaking, and if it weren't for the sedative he took before going to Fury's office, he would fail miserably.