4th of july - mgk

your pov:

me and my best friend colson were never patriotic. he was actually an anarchist, i'm pretty sure. but fourth of july was an excuse to blow stupid shit up, so of course, we "celebrated".

colson had invited me to hang out with him and his daughter at their house. swim in their pool, light some sparklers, blow off fireworks and eat burgers.

i shut the car door and casie came bounding out followed by her father.

"hey (y/n)!" casie smiled hugging me gently.

"hey cas"

"ooh! you brought your homemade apple pie! (y/n) i swear you are the love of my life" i felt a small blush tint my cheeks as he pulled me in for a hug.

i giggled, "col, let me go or you'll smush it!"

he let go but pulled me through the house to his backyard.

the grill was running and there was a table of chips and drinks. casie had already jumped in the pool while her father went to put on burgers.

i put the apple pie down and went to join casie.

"cannonball!" i screamed, bounding into the pool.

"alright girls! food is ready! come on let's go" colson called to us as he took the meal off the grill, and adding them to a plates with fries.

"just one second, dad!" i taunted, "we're finishing this round of marco polo"

finally, i snatched casies foot and we got out. i grabbed a towel and tossed her one before joining colson.

"never call me dad again" colson scolded me lightheartedly.

"yeah i'd never call you dad anyway i prefer daddy" i joked.

colson choked on his beer and casie made a face.

after we had finished our meals i spoke up,"i'm gonna go put the pie in the oven for a bit too warm it up, why don't you two get sparklers and we can light them while we watch the sunset"

the pie was warming up and i stood leaning on the sliding door. i was watching him light the sparklers and telling her to be careful with them.

she just rolled her eyes and waved it around watching it burn. i made my way over and grabbed one.

"light it for me?"

"of course, m'lady" he laughed.

i laughed with him and then leaned my head on his shoulder. he wrapped his arm around me, "it's beautiful, isn't it?"

"yeah, it really is. i always love sunsets"

"hey dad?" casie interrupted us.

we quickly separated and casie asked if she could go to a friends to see fireworks at a high school a few towns over.

it's not like colson and i were secretly dating or anything. if we were dating it wouldn't be a secret. we were only friends though. i had never thought i had romantic feelings for him but if he had wanted to date in theory i wouldn't be opposed to it.

"sure, let's eat some apple pie and i'll drive you over there. i have a surprise for (y/n) anyway" he winked at her and she smiled.

"oh?" i said aloud but colson was already inside.

he came back out and cut three pieces and handed them out.

"casie, after you finish go get dressed or whatever you need to do and i can drive you. (y/n), you do the same, you have your drawer you can shower do whatever you need to freshen up and we can go"