Kalank: Part 2

I’m alive. *hooting frantically*
Sorry for being so late! :( but a double chapter update cuz I finished my exams. Here we go!

tw// violence

| Kalank |

"Kon hai andar? Darwaza khol!"

Vashma froze. Slipping from her hands, the reciever fell onto the hard concrete floor with a thud.

"In gair mazhab ke logo ko hamare mohalle mein zinda aane kisne diya," someone stated resentfully and Vashma pressed herself against the wall, her eyes closed tight. With steady little steps, she inched closer to the table, her eyes keeping a vigilant watch on the door all the while. She crawled under the table, pressing her trembling hands against her mouth tightly, stifling any sobs that escaped her mouth.

The door creaked from the ominously loud thumps being charged against it.
"O bibi! Humein pata hai ki tu andar hai. Chalaak na ban aur darwaza khol de, warna tera aisa hashar hoga ki tu pachtane layak bhi nahi rahegi."
A shudder of disgust ran through her body, instinctively leaning backwards with her trembling hands. But, there weren't tears in her eyes anymore.

"Tu meri sherni hai na?", every passing breeze seemed to whisper in her ears.
"Haan", she murmured in response, and wiped any signs of helplessness off her cheeks.

Vashma Baig Sahani had to fight.
She needed to be strong- for Uday, for Kabir, for herself!
The door could give way, breaking open any moment and she knew that she didn't have much time. Vashma gathered her thoughts and herself, and quietly crawled out of her hiding. Muttering a silent prayer, she took a deep breath, gulping down any nervous thoughts that seemed to keep her back and crept slowly into the kitchen, the constant banging on the door and the vile threats ringing loudly in her ears. She gripped the knife firmly in her shivering hands with a lot of difficulty, and positioned herself next to the door, holding her breath in anticipation of the next move that she very well knew of.

"Bahut mauke de diye tujhe. Par lagta hai tujhe apni jaan pyaari nahi hai."
And, the bolt snapped open at a loud charge against it.
Vashma immediately withdrew herself well behind the door, holding her ragged breaths and the wild palpitations against her chest. This was it.

"Dhoondo use, yahi hogi. Bach ke kaha jaegi", a command resounded right across and five other men charged across the hall, thrusting their swords in the air.
As the commander stepped forward, well in her view, she mustered up all her courage for the final step, and finding her opportunity, flung her arms around his neck tightly and ushered the knife against him.
"Hilna mat wa-warna main maar dungi ise! Apne-apne hathiyaar niche rakho", moving forward with a constant thrust against his throat, she demanded fiercely, "Abhi!"

The man grimaced under her grip, but she only pressed the knife harder against his neck, "Maine kaha talwaar neeche!"

The swords dropped, clanging loudly against the floor and she felt her breath hitched against her throat, almost coming back when-
... a sharp blow at the back of her head left her numb. She flinched, closing her eyes tight from the seething pain as her grip over the knife failed, and it fell on the floor. Her hands flailed about in search of non-existent support as her vision gradually blurred out and she fell against the damp floor, her hands strewn apart and her head slowly tilted towards the door, a blurred silhouette of a man nearing her.

"VASHMA!"

| to be continued |

Alright, how was it? The next part is out, see you there. Do share your reviews, makes my day. 🤍

xoxo,
Aditi