Family has to stick together

Start from the beginning

"Eat with Hvitserk and I, please" she said showing them to their table and they sat at both sides of them.

Freya went on to meet the messengers who were showing their respects from their Jarls and Kings, all of which wanted to be able to tell that they were on good terms with Queen Freya Ironside, Gifted by the Gods.

The feast went on for hours, with people coming and going, eating, drinking, dancing to the sound of the musing played in the corners and in all that, Freya and the two Jarls were talking politics.

"People will soon see you as Queen of all Norway" said Jarl Thorkell leaning in towards her, Freya chuckled, "That is no title of mine" she said calmly, "You succeeded King Harald and he was" said Jarl Hrolf sure of her statement, and to that Hvitserk added, "They're right. Harald came out winning and you got his reign and Kattegat now" "That reminds me of two things, we need to send someone back to King Harald's old reign, Tamdrup, with people to live there, otherwise Kattegat will soon become overcrowded ..." said Freya, Hvitserk nodded, "What's the second one?" asked Jarl Thorkell, "We need new elections – for the new Queen or King of all Norway" said Freya calmly, "You are" insisted Jarl Hrolf, Freya chuckled and said, "I want to do things properly. If the other Kings and Jarls do want me, I will be more than happy but if they don't, it's their right to choose someone else. I can't get whatever I want without asking, it's not what good rulers do" said Freya plainly. The two Jarls nodded and seemed to agree with her proposition of having new elections.

*

A couple of weeks had gone by and all the Jarls had left and Freya and Hvitserk had taken their horses and had gone up river, through the hills behind Kattegat, near the mountains. They had stopped to let their horses drink and were now lying on the green grass, over the cold ground.

Freya ... Freya ... my child ...

Suddenly she was panting, she could clearly see a clearing between tall trees, a tent and pair of small eyes. She sprang to her feet, followed by her worried husband. "Freya!" said Hvitserk at once, holding her by her waist as she stood still again.

"Are you all right? What is it, are you hurt?" he questioned checking her torso and drawing his sword, looking around to see if there was anyone.

She clung to his shoulders and said, "I heard mother – I know where they are, she needs me!" she burst unable to calm down, "What are you talking about?" he asked shaking his head, "It was like with Asa ... I heard her, I need to go" she said curtly, not wanting to be late as she had been for her sister. "Go?! Go where?!" he enquired looking at her with bulging eyes, grabbing her arm firmly, he didn't want to let her go. "Go back to Kattegat, leave my horse here. Tell them I've gone to check on King Harald's old reign ... I think I'll be away for a while" she said rushing all the words out. Hvitserk shook his head and snorted at her saying, "What – no!", Freya grabbed him by the face and calmed him down, "You trust me?" she asked, he panted and then nodded, although she knew he wasn't happy with what was happening, "Then let go" she said and he slowly took away his hands from her waist.

She backed away but kept staring at him, "I'm about to do something but I still don't know what it is ... just know I'm alright, okay?" and he nodded, looking aghast and worried. With a loud CLACK she was gone, twisting her body away, out of thin air.

As he saw that, Hvitserk jumped towards her as to hold her back but as he stepped foot onwards she was gone. "Freya –'' he called, he looked around but nothing, "FREYA?! FREYA?!" he shouted after her but he was shouting to nothing. He thrashed back and forth, searching for her, walking to the spot where she had vanished.

She had been spinning for a long time when, finally, she fell down onto many leaves and twigs and once she opened her eyes she was surrounded by trees taller than she had ever seen, she could hardly distinguish the sky between the tops. She felt most tired and weak after that, it took her a moment to stand up on her feet. Once she did she felt as if around ten arrows had hit her right in the chest; she looked around and saw a small tent to her right in front of which was a small fire and the most beautiful sight, her mother, she was much more tanned and her hair more unkept but it was her in all her glory, standing still, unable to move, not knowing herself if she was seeing a ghost or not.