Chapter 7.) Temperance

Start from the beginning

"I think I will, she's been asking why you two live in different houses," Bryson softly laughed. "I'll bring her over tho."

"I appreciate that."

"I gotta get ready to go tho, I just wanted to check on you," Bryson stood as did King.

"I appreciate dat, on tha' real, B," King said.

Embracing each other, Bryson removed his keys and headed out.

Glancing at his empty glass, King sighed shoving it away. "Dis can't be tha' end of us."

***

"Zuri!" Dajon yelled upon entering her house. Ary had called and gave him the rundown of what happened and before he went to sit down with Kwan, he wanted to make sure his sister was ok first. Dajon couldn't understand why Yanna would even threaten Kairo or any of the kids as if that was cool. Anyone in the world knew that you don't go around threatening folks kids without suffering the consequences.

Stepping out of his shoes, Dajon placed his briefcase down and walked through the large home before jogging upstairs, "Zuri!"

"Yeah?" she answered softly, closing the hall closet.

Dajon could hear it in her voice and see it in her eyes that she's been crying and that bothered him. Walking toward her, he enveloped her into a tight hug. "Stop," he asserted when she tried to fight him off.

"Let me go," she mumbled, shoving him again.

"Just cry man... you earned it, let it out," he tightened his hold on her and she stopped fighting and hugged him back as she cried into his shirt.

"She's supposed to be my friend," she cried, staring at him. "I worked so hard to grow out of this side of me... she's acting like this is my fault!"

"It's not," he used his sleeve to wipe her face. "You know how proud I am of you and you know how much your kids love the hell out of you. Zuri, in all my years of being under you, I will admit that after what happened with you and bro, the mom I watched you grow into, the woman I watched you grow into was exactly how you were when you used to take care of me. Giving me your last. Giving me your food, knowing you hadn't eaten. Scraping up change so I could buy lunch at school. We were cramped in pops car, sharing that thin-ass blanket, and every morning I woke up, I would always find it off of you but covering me. Zuri, you don't realize how much of a positive impact you have had on me because of the sacrifices you made just to make sure I was always ok," wiping her face again, he cleared his throat before continuing, "Kairo is grown and chose to run the streets, but I'll talk to him because I know how it's affecting you. As far as Yanna trying to come at you and blame him when she knows good and well that Zay has been hinting at that shit for years, that's foul. If it wasn't with Kai, he would be in that shit with someone else or by him damn self because it's what he wants to do. So nah, I don't appreciate that shit she said or tried to do. I ain't watch you come this far, just to get knocked down by someone who's supposed to be like a sister to you, fuck that shit, you hear me?"

Renae nodded, "I know I'm supposed to be the bigger person but I can't just let that go."

"You have that right, don't feel bad about it. I'ma go talk with Kwan about this shit, but you know how I'm coming behind you. I ain't the hardest nigga in the world but if he gets crazy, then we just gon' be two fighting motherfuckers," he said and she cracked a smile.

"I love you, but I don't want you saying anything to him... I'm trying to protect my peace and if that means I have to cut her off then I'll do it. I really like this new me... I'm so tired of crying and being angry. I'm tired of the drama and feeling judged... I'm tired, D.J..." she officially broke down.