9. The Great Birthday Feast

Start from the beginning

"Did something happen there, my lord?"

"You told me Skylar is bold, and she is. She would probably charge at a dragon without a second thought. That's just the kind of person she is. But on our wedding day, she was terrified of me. She did try to put a brave face on, but it was clear as day. I didn't realise it at the time, but she is a good couple of years younger than me. And with all this mess of negotiating alliance, her family pushed her to marry me without any warning. 

"I may disagree with the King's decision to go on with this union, and I would never choose her if I had any say in the matter. But it is what it is, and I'd rather live with a woman who was ready to punch me when I offended her sister than with a pale shadow that trembles at my smallest gesture."

"I'm delighted you think so, my lord."

"Yeah, but I'm afraid it will come back to bite me sooner or later." Gawyn handed his empty teacup to the servant. "Now excuse me, but I have no more time for idle talk. I need to get back to work."

"Of course, my lord," Zachariah said with a bow. "If you need anything else, just call."

***

The evening before the birthday feast in the palace finally arrived. Master Bailey brought the whole collection of dresses he was working on all this time, including a unique creation for Skylar's first appearance at the royal court. She was now looking at her reflection in the mirror with a mixture of awe and horror.

The dress was nothing Skylar had seen before. It left her whole shoulders bare. She was used to hiding her arms because of well-defined muscles that were so unladylike in general, but now they were exposed on purpose. The red bodice richly embroidered with black gryphon shapes was not suffocating, like typical corsets, but seemed to be hugging all her curves perfectly. The simple black skirt was not too large and heavy, but a perfect combination of flowing fabric and pretty shape, not restricting her movements.

Skylar had to admit that it was the most comfortable dress she's ever worn in her life. The whole thing was complemented by long, black gloves reaching up to her elbows.

"Come now, darling," Master Bailey said from behind the partition. "Don't leave us hanging in here!"

Sky took a deep breath, straightened her shoulders, and stepped out from her little changing space.

Gawyn's mouth opened slightly while his wide eyes took her all in, from head to toes. Skylar's cheeks burned under his intense gaze, which was weird, as she didn't care if he approved of her or not.

"It's..." the General paused, searching for the right words.

"Spectacular? Magnificent? Terrific?" Master Bailey suggested, not even trying to hide his excitement.

"Nothing I've ever seen at court. That's for sure," Gawyn finished with a frown.

"Of course, you've seen nothing like this before! Do you think I would copy some shabby creations from other tailors?! Not likely! This dress, my dear General, is a work of art. Come here, dear." 

The tailor took Skylar's hand, pulled her closer to Gawyn, and then twirled her around. "Just look at how perfectly it fits your wife. It's showing off the best parts and hides enough to let the mind wander."

"Isn't it showing a bit too much?" Sky asked, looking nervously at her bare shoulders.

"My dear," Master Bailey said, putting both hands on her arms. "Those shoulders are works of art; you can't keep them hidden! It's a crime!" 

He twirled her again, so she was facing Gawyn now, and pushed her gently forward, so they were standing so close, she had to raise her chin to look him in the face.