The Last Name

Shivaay froze in his seat, his hands freezing in midair over his laptop which he had just switched on; hearing the news on TV echo the name of his wife. He looked up slowly towards the TV screen that was blaring the news and pressed on the remote for the volume to be higher.

..Investigators have traced the dead body of a six-year-old girl found on the outskirts of Sakroli Village as the child to the Late Real Estate Mogul - Bharat Chandra's first wife. Mr. Chandra's first wife along with his two daughters went missing about twenty-five years ago after a ransom deal went wrong.

The medical examiner of this case has concluded the girl was cold-bloodedly murdered after being thrown off from the cliff connected to the Pune Expressway. The case for the Chandra family has been reopened and officials have reported that the Oberoi family's estranged bahu, Anika Singh Oberoi, wife of Shivaay Singh Oberoi; might be the other Chandra child that had gone missing. The orphanage records where the girls have been traced to has no records of anyone dropping off the girls or their mother. The chairman of the Mercy Orphanage had refuted that any member or caretaker of Mercy Orphanage has anything to do with the murder of the child while admitting that the Anika Singh Oberoi had been brought up in his orphanage until she was taken in by a well-stable family. The police have already stated that besides Anika Singh Oberoi, they do not have proves or evidence leading to the remaining Chandra family that had gone missing which makes us believe that Mrs. Chandra hasn't survived after all.

The crime scene has still be closed off and further updates of the investigation are scheduled to be released in the press conference held by the Chandra Organization...

He got up from his seat and walked over towards the kitchen, pouring himself a glass of water. The police had come in for questioning about a week ago but none of them knew why they were asking the most basic questions about Anika's life. She had gone out with a catering order and wouldn't be too pleased to know her roots were being connected to her blood family after all of this time.

He felt a smile creeping up on his face knowing the angry reaction he would be facing once Anika finds out that her name has been adjoined with his in media and that despite working so hard to being herself, today the world would be acknowledging her existence because she was reportedly connected to the Chandra family.

He paced himself to and from the kitchen to his desk in the living room and wondered what Om would tell him to do in such a situation. He let out a chuckle thinking that Anika apparently had fulfilled the criteria of a wife he had before he had fallen in love with her. She had the family name of one of India's wealthiest families. Not that he cared what Anika's last name was anymore. He had learned to understand more closely than before now. She was a fighter, a survivor who knew what she wants. She was loyal, and friendly, and amazing, and really cared for those who were close to her. Somehow he had become content with the idea of her being her. What bothered him in midst of the crusty of her last name was the lost sister who was taken away forcefully by Anika. The girl who was her only blood-family had her remains finally found and she wasn't alive. Would Anika be okay knowing that what she had witnessed so many years ago was finally going to get its closure?