FOURTEEN | TEA

Depth: Sixty-three feet above sea level

Location: Avenger's Tower, Steve's Floor.

Pain. Overwhelming, hot, blinding pain.

She feels pain, but cannot move. She feels herself being transported, jostled around, but cannot move. Her body feels like it's on fire, as she is about to burn, layer-by-layer, until she is nothing but a pile of ashes. She wants to cry out, to figure out what is happening, but nothing will move the way she wants it to.

The last thing she remembers is the bomb. She should be dead, though she is not.

Finally, she musters a soft whimper, then another, slightly louder.

Frantic Russian consumes her. "She's waking up, she's waking up!" "Keep her calm!" "She's not supposed to wake yet!" "Sedate her!"

Tania feels a sharp pinching in her shoulder, which solicits another whimper from her. A few moments pass before everything fades to darkness.

Although, her pain remains.

———————

"Tania... Tania, can you-...? Are you-...? Tania!"

The voice fades in and out, muffled and distant. Tania tries to focus on it, to bring herself back into reality, but she feels herself slipping back, inch-by-inch, back into the memory.

In a last ditch effort to stop herself from going back under, she inhales sharply, rocketing up into a seated position. She forces her eyes open, and finds herself relieved to see the surroundings of Steve's floor. It takes her another moment to notice Bucky is beside her, visibly worried.

"Hey, hey, it's alright, you're safe," he says, unsure of how to help. "What happened, do you remember?"

Tania looks around uncertainly, her breath coming out in smothered gasps. After a moment, she gently feels a hand rest on top of hers. Although she is wearing her suit, she can still faintly feel the warmth in Bucky's touch.

"Just... A memory, it came from nowhere," she says timidly. "My head, it was splitting. Then I suppose I went unconscious."

Bucky gazes at her for a moment before nodding. "Yeah, that happens to me, too... It sneaks up on you, just out of the blue... I've had that happen lots of times."

Tania looks over at him, intrigued. Bucky notices the cloudiness in her eyes, the leftover uncertainty from the memory. Gently, he squeezes her hand.