In Her Arms

I stretch my limbs, crashing onto the bed in sheer exhaustion after a day of tremendous exertion. I scratch my back and curl up into a ball, relishing the feel of the soft sheets underneath me. Slowly, my eyes begin to close and I almost drift off to sleep when an all too familiar sound reaches my ears – those footsteps coming up the stairs, toward the door. Her footsteps. Oh, how I miss her!

            “Hunter, baby, are you there?” she speaks behind the door, turning the knob gingerly, as though preventing any noise.

            I don’t respond, listening to her voice like a feather’s touch.

            Finally, she swings the door open, still with her usual gentle manner. She walks toward the bed and flops down beside me. I lay still just as when she wraps me in a warm hug. I turn to face her, burying my head into her chest.

            She giggles then, “oh I missed you too, baby.”

            I sigh, feeling satisfied in her arms. God, just her warmth around me fills me with renewed spirit.

            I lay flat on my back now, shutting my eyes. I hear her weight shift too and the next thing I know she is already stroking my chest, her hands moving up and down my torso as she whispers endearing nothings into my ear. Her breath on my skin gives me shivers, making me curl my toes.

            I open my eyes and look at her. There she is, my angel, with her elbows propped up and her head on her hands. She stares at me with clear passion and adoration. I reach up to touch her cheek as she gives me a sweet kiss on the forehead before leaving the bed to rest on the couch nearby.

            Just then I sit up, glancing at her, wanting her warmth close to me. She notices my distress with her temporary distance and smiles weakly at me. My baby is tired and she gazes at me with that look that says “come here…”

            Without a second thought, I jump out of bed and hurry toward her. She chuckles as I leap onto her lap.

            I curl myself up comfortably and she caresses my back with tender caution, as if not to break me. Don’t leave me like that, I think.

            “Stay with me,” she says, almost mirroring my thoughts as she strokes my head, then my neck in that rhythmic direction she memorized by heart. I purr in delight, wanting more of her touch as I eventually dose off into sleep.