7/15

Competition.

The first thing he heard from your backyard was giggling. You never giggled. You weren't one to cover your hand to stifle the soft, high-pitched laughter that bubbled out of every other girl's throat, nor were you one to stare at someone through your luscious lashes and lovingly gaze at him-because you were definitely doing it now.

Oikawa pushed your back door open, and his blood boiled.

Sitting on the swing that he used to sit on in junior high was your glorious figure, laughing cutely with your hand covering your soft laughter. And next to you was an unfamiliar figure-a male figure. A decent-looking male figure.

He knew what he needed to do.

"{y/n}-chan!" he called, waving and putting on a smile. Your eyes left the boy and darted towards you, and your expression fell a considerable amount.

His stomach churned.

"Who's this, {y/n}-chan?" he asked, not bothering to skirt around the elephant in the room. He wished the guy was an actual elephant in the room.

You sighed. "This is my friend, Fujimoto Daiki," you explained. You didn't bother introducing him to Fujimoto.

So he decided he will. "I'm Oikawa Tooru, one of {y/n}-chan's best friends," he greeted, extending a hand and painting on a pleasant face. "It's nice to meet you, Fujimoto-san."

"I've never heard {y/n} talk about you," the stranger admitted, and he felt an arrow pierce his heart. There was a glint of smugness in Fujimoto's eyes. "But I'm sure you mean a great deal to {y/n}."

"Oh, I've known {y/n}-chan since junior high," Oikawa boasted, grinning slightly.

Fujimoto smirked right back. "Her family and mine are close. We've known each other since we were two."

Slap. Oikawa shrugged off his defeat, continuing to smile. "{y/n}-chan and I go to the same school."

"{y/n}'s family and mine always go on holidays together."

"I know all her favourite foods."

"I know all her favourite songs."

"Her favourite season is {f/season}."

"She especially loves {f/seasonal food/drink} in the {f/season}."

"She has an old doll named {doll's name}."

"She used to cuddle with it whenever I'd come over and do something mean."

"She doesn't like it when people tease her."

"She doesn't like being objectified."

Oikawa gritted his teeth. "I know {y/n}'s favorite movies."

"And I know {y/n}'s biggest fears," Fujimoto taunted back. A triumphant smirk danced on his lips, prepared to call himself champion over the slight contest they had going on.

Oikawa simply looked him dead in the eyes, and said, "Well, I know how to get rid of them."

Fujimoto left a few minutes after that, wishing you well before disappearing completely. You looked up at Oikawa in confusion, brows scrunching as you tried to process the battle that had raged in your backyard. You could still hear Oikawa's words in your head, and you remembered how you wanted to believe every single claim he made, how you wanted him to win the little clash against your best friend. Biting your bottom lip, you contemplated on whether you should ask him your impending question, before giving in to your little heart.

"Oikawa," you began cautiously, trying to find the right words. "What do you mean you know how to get rid of my fears?"

He merely chuckled and ruffled your {h/c} hair. "You want me to show you?"

"Erm, no thank you."

He smiled, and wrapped his arms around you smaller figure, resting his head on yours as you felt your cheeks flare up at the close proximity. "I know how to get rid of your fears," he began, his voice vibrating against your scalp, "because you mean a lot to me. And I don't want you to ever be scared. Okay, {y/n}-chan?"

You smiled. I know {y/n}'s favourite movies. "Okay."

----------
That was a reference to The Fault in Our Stars, btw.