A Note

Nick sold his car for the engagement ring, but as he headed to the church. He wasn't not sure if he picked the right one. It's slim and discreet because Evonne has never liked anyone to make much of her. She has too much pride for that.

Even as they started dating she rejected all of Nick's gifts. "I am a grown up woman with work", she said," I can buy the things I need."

Nick smiles a bit at the memory and turns around the corner by the super market to roll downhill. His red bike is old and falling apart, but it's good enough for him. With the small box making a bulge in his jacket, he feels there's more to happiness than owning a vehicle.

They've never had much, Evonne and he. They've always barely made it. When they met Evonne was running her own bookstore selling children's books, and Nick was a college student sent out to review her for the local paper. They argued for hours about books and morals and whether or not today's child is spoiled with technological wonders, but by the time Nick had his article written, they still hadn't come to agree on the matter. That was their first excuse for meeting up for coffee. Hate then started turning into love after a few more meetings.

Nick's grip on the handle bar tightens as he spots a red light in front of him. He stops by crossing and rests his right foot on the ground while looking around. He's once driven through this exact intersection as he was going to a picnic with Evonne. She insisted on making the food. At that time she tried to be a bit helpful, but she couldn't cook, and on their way home they just bought from a drive through. As he thinks about it, Evonne never learned to clean either. Every week Nick was in charge of doing the laundry and most of the cleaning. Evonne would even pester him to please clean the windows of his bookstore.

"My back hurts," she would always complain, making Nick's heart soften, but whenever he took a break to get a glass of water, Evonne would be running around carrying more books than what was good for even Nick's spine. Because Evonne loved her work. She just hated all the duties that followed it.

As the light turns green, Nick continues to the left. He can now see the church in the distance. It's situated centrally; just next to it is the local park.

Nick still loves to go for a swing every now and then in the colorful playground. Evonne used to push him up high whenever she convinced her to. But the woman quickly got tired of it. She kept on complaining about her arms hurting. Nick just suspected she's just out of shape or lazy. But to make her happy again they always rented some old and corny romance movie on their way home. Nick looked to the right as he passed the place where they used to rent the movies at. It was now changed to a tea house.

Much to Evonne's liking, he's sure.

The closer he gets to the church, the faster the beat of his heart got. It's making him want to do it another day instead of this one. But he continues to the church knowing that if he keeps doing that, he'll never be able to give it to her.

He's even dressed up for the day with a starched shirt smartened up with a black bow tie. He wouldn't feel very happy if he dressed up for nothing. he tries to slow down. But still steps harshly on the pedals. Despite getting nervous, he wants to get there as early as possible.

It was easy for him to find a spot for his bike. The parking lot is almost empty, so he leans the bike up against the stairs before walking up. He takes two steps at a time and unzips his jacket in the go to show off his shirt. It's new. His mom helped pay for it.

"Since it's a special day and all," She said, though she didn't sound like she really understood. But she never understood the love-hate relationship I had with Evonne.

At first, she thought she was too serious. Then too boring. Then too lazy. Now she just seems like she just given up on her.

"Evonne!" Nick greets with a smile as soon as he eyes her, and he hurries in between the tombstone to stop by the one that's shaped like an angel. He sends it a flustered smile. "Sorry I'm if I'm late."

Evonne's burial place was small yet neat.

Nick paid extra to make sure to get the site with the big shady trees. In the summer, they shadowed nicely for the sun. Evonne hated the sun. Nick used to like it, but now not that much.

He kneels at the picture and waves at it happily. "I took the bike. I know you're wondering why I didn't drive the car. Well you always complained it wasn't good for the environment so now I sold it." The woman in the picture looks indifferent, but Nick knows that if Evonne could speak, she would tell him he's a grown adult and that he can make his own choices, and stop clinging to the "useless" things she tells him.

The picture of Evonne was taken just a week before she died. When Nick looks at it, he sees a healthy woman who could've lived more than 26 years. Had she not decided to come home early from work to throw him a surprise birthday party, she would have not died. Had she not decided to help a person who was being robbed, she would have not been shot. The paramedics said she never felt any pain, but he knew it was just a pathetic attempt to make him feel better.

"Will you marry me?" Nick asks, "I know you can't say yes or no," he adds quickly and slowly puts the box down near the picture. "I'm not even sure it's legal to marry you as... well, as you right now. But I would like to imagine that you would say yes if you could..." Nick pauses as he breathes in deeply.

"But I don't want anyone to tell me that I couldn't marry a dead person." He sits on the ground fully, and messes his current messy hair while smiling softly. "I know I tried to stop liking you. That's why I stayed away that week... But that was the past. I'm here now. And I want to be here until I join your side."

Nick glances at the tombstones on each side of Evonne's place "When the time comes, we'll have to move you so that we can be next to each other. This isn't good. I know you're possibly fine with," he leans to the side to read the names, "Mrs. Vargas and," he leans to the other side "Mr. Ellis, but we should stay together even if it's just tombstones." He gives the picture a serious look, but he quickly breaks into laughter. "What am I thinking that's still a long way from now. Well... I wish it wasn't, I really want to see you again." He mumbles. Then he shakes his head and gets up. He picks up the box with the ring.

"Now you know," his eyes reflecting with false hope for her to come back. "Please consider this offer, okay?" He lets his fingertips slip down the face of the angel. He chose it because Evonne always liked angels. She even decorated it in the bookstore.

Nick took a step back. What he hated the most is saying goodbye because he never knows how to do it properly.

He nods shortly at the picture. "I'll be back next Saturday," he promises "Till then, think about the offer okay? If you want to marry me..." He smiles wryly, then turns around and leaves hesitantly.

Nick never liked goodbyes. Maybe that is why he still leaves the door open for his love to come home. But if he hadn't been in a hurry, maybe he would've noticed the writing that appeared in the ground by Evonne's picture as he left:

I do

The small piece of paper flew off the ground with the breezy wind into the papery white snow.

_________________________________________

A/N

I feel sad now :O

Anyway, thank you for reading this story. This is my first time writing a story so if you have any helpful tips for me, please comment it :)