St. Mungo's Hospital promised a full inquiry last night after Ministry of Magic worker Broderick Bode, 49, was discovered dead in his bed, strangled by a potted plant. Healers called to the scene were unable to revive Mr Bode, who had been injured in a workplace accident some weeks prior to his death. 

Healer Miriam Strout, who was in charge of Mr Bode's ward at the time of the incident, has been suspended on full pay and was unavailable for comment yesterday, but a spokes wizard for the hospital said in a statement, "St. Mungo's deeply regrets the death of Mr Bode, whose health was improving steadily prior to this tragic accident. 

"We have strict guidelines on the decorations permitted on our wards but it appears that Healer Strout, busy over the Christmas period, overlooked the dangers of the plant on Mr Bode's bedside table.

As his speech and mobility improved, Healer Strout encouraged Mr Bode to look after the plant himself, unaware that it was not an innocent Flitterbloom, but a cutting of Devil's Snare, which, when touched by the convalescent Mr Bode, throttled him instantly. 

"St. Mungo's is as yet unable to account for the presence of the plant on the ward and asks any witch or wizard with information to come forward."

"Bode..." said Ron. "Bode. It rings a bell..."

"We saw him," Hermione whispered. "In St. Mungo's, remember? He was in the bed opposite Lockhart's, just lying there, staring at the ceiling. And we saw the Devil's Snare arrive. She...the Healer said it was a Christmas present...."

Y/n looked down at the newspaper, "They were there with him?" The three of them nodded Harry still not saying anything to her. 

"How come we didn't recognize Devil's Snare...? We've seen it before...we could've stopped this from happening...."

"Who expects Devil's Snare to turn up in a hospital disguised as a potted plant?" said Ron sharply. "It's not our fault, whoever sent it to the bloke is to blame! They must be a real prat, why didn't they check what they were buying?"

"Oh come on, Ron!" said Hermione shakily, "I don't think anyone could put Devil's Snare in a pot and not realize it tries to kill whoever touches it? This... this was murder...A clever murder, as well...." 

Y/n looked up once more avoiding eye contact. "If the plant was sent anonymously, how's anyone ever going to find out who did it?" She said, "Plus...You can have Devil Snare as a plant...but if you don't care about it....this could happen" 

Harry was not thinking about Devil's Snare. He was remembering taking the lift down to the ninth level of the Ministry on the day of his hearing, and the sallow-faced man who had got in on the Atrium level. "I met Bode," he said slowly. "I saw him at the Ministry with your dad..."

Ron's mouth fell open. "I've heard Dad talk about him at home! He was an Unspeakable he worked in the Department of Mysteries!"

They looked at one another for a moment, then Hermione pulled the newspaper back toward her closed it, glared for a moment at the pictures of the ten escaped Death Eaters on the front, then leapt to her feet. 

"Where are you going?" said Ron, startled.

"To send a letter," said Hermione, swinging her bag onto her shoulder. "It...well, I don't know whether...but it's worth trying...and I'm the only one who can..." 

"I hate it when she does that," grumbled Ron as he and Harry got up from the table and made their own, slower way out of the Great Hall. 

Y/n got up, "Now where are you going?" Ron asked.