right for you, ben chilwell

Start from the beginning

It was midnight when your phone woke you, realizing that you must have accidentally fallen asleep. You could barely hear the phone ring due to the weight of the rain outside, but you answered anyway, surprised to hear a familiar, desperate voice on the other end of the line.

━ Y/N... I'm down here... me, something happened. I didn't know where to go... I just drove, and I ended up here... something in me, I needed to see you. Let me in, please.

He looked distressed, perhaps because he was crying. You went down to the front door and opened it carefully, suddenly coming face to face with a saturated Ben Chilwell. You reached out and dragged him inside, your eyes scanning his wet, shivering body.

━ Ben... you're freezing, you're going to get sick. ━ You exclaimed as softly as you could, not letting go of his hand, as you led him to your room.

You gestured for him to stay put before grabbing a clean towel from the bathroom, running back and closing the door before wrapping it around your shoulders. You sat on the edge of the bed as he stood in front of you, seeming to have something to say, but couldn't think of how to start the conversation.

━ Why are you here? ━ You finally said after a long period of silence, Ben's eyes strayed to the ground. He cleared his throat a few times before realizing he was just whispering.

━ I saw Charlie with one of the Aston Villa players. She was on top of him. I... I asked her what the hell was going on, she basically said I wasn't good enough. Do you believe that? ━ He said exasperated, his hands pulling at her wet hair as it stuck to her forehead.

You closed your eyes for a moment as you took in this information, able to feel Ben's pain from where she sat. But it wasn't a new pain, it was like it was the kind that was finally released after being repressed for too long. As if it knew it was coming and would hold out until the dreaded day.

You pursed your lips and rose from the bed, standing right in front of him before taking his wrists and pulling them down between the two of you, your thumbs gently stroking the skin of his knuckles.

━ But why are you here? At home? You could have gone to Mase or called Madders. ━ You muttered, hoping his tone of voice would calm you down.

Those eyes you fell in love with as a teenager were looking at you, taking in your details, your passion, your heart. They were kind, just like you always knew he was.

━ Something attracted me to you, as if I was destined to be here. Do you know? ━ He spoke so low you could barely hear him, but you could hear him clearly.

Were you obsessing over him by running out of words, confused as to what he was trying to say - was it a confession of love or some pity plea because you were the only one who cared? You nodded your head to understand what he was saying, feeling your own radiance toward him for a long time.

A week later, he had returned to his girlfriend.

Standing by and waiting at your backdoor
All this time, how could you not know, baby?
You belong with me
You belong with me

His eyes traveled to the table where all his friends were sitting, everyone paying attention to his presentation. Except Ben and his girlfriend. A pang of pain whistled through her heart. At Christian's words coming back to her mind.

If he doesn't notice, maybe he's not right for you Y/N.

Have you ever thought just maybe
You belong with me
You belong with me

Maybe Ben didn't belong to you. Not how you wanted it.

  Not how you wanted it