chapter twenty-two.

Start from the beginning

"Hold on, Kunikida," she said, gaining the unknown person's attention as well. "This guy isn't a threat – hell, he wouldn't hurt a fly."

I may have said the same for Hinami, but I really mean it this time, she thought.

He was an older man, possibly in his mid-thirties. He had thick brown hair and dark eyes, making him appear more threatening than he actually was. But his villainous looks were contradicted with his simple gray sweatpants and Tokyo Ghoul t-shirt.

He appeared frightened, looking between the two as he asked, "What's going on? Why are you guys so on edge?"

"Who are you?" Kunikida questioned, ignoring the man's.

"Hibiki Asagiri," he answered.

"He's Hinami's older brother," (Y/n) further explained, turning her attention to Hibiki. "Did Hinami ask you to come here to help out with the Ripped Page? Is that why you packed practically your entire room?"

"Yeah, I was up in Tokyo to help out some of my college buddies when Hina called me to come down and help out," he said, his voice gentle and deep. "She said that you were leaving and that she needed some help. I had to ask her to repeat herself, I was so shocked." He chuckled. "It's been a while since Hina asked for help."

"She asked you to be here at twelve, right?"

"Yep."

(Y/n) checked her phone, it was currently a quarter past eleven. "Early as always."

"Yep-er-ooni." His lips curled into a goofy smile. "I thought you guys would be out of here by now, but this was a pleasant surprise."

"It sure was." She relaxed a bit, her eyes falling to Kunikida as he appeared impatient. "Also – Hibiki, Kunikida. Kunikida, Hibiki." She gestured between the two. "Well, we have to go. It was really nice seeing you, Hibiki."

"Sure was, (Y/n)! Have fun at your new job!"

(Y/n) and Kunikida quickly passed him, Hibiki barely inching forward with his suitcase. She muttered to herself, "I'll certainly try."

Kunikida and (Y/n) walked down the sidewalk, passing by the various buildings and pedestrians as they made their way back to the agency

"So Asagiri has an older brother," he said, breaking their silence. "They don't look very like."

"Technically, they're half-siblings. Same mother, different fathers," (Y/n) corrected. "But they're so close, they're practically full-siblings. Even if they don't look alike, their as close as brother and sister can get."

"Interesting. And you and her brother are close?"

"Sure, but as a 'I'm your sister's friend' kind of basis."

"He used your first name—"

"He uses everyone's first name if he gets it. But people usually don't mind cause he's just such an outgoing guy. It's hard to dislike him and near-impossible to get him to dislike you. He's a sweetheart."