prologue ➳ at 3 a.m.

At 3 a.m., Zayn lies lonely in the cold sheets of his bed.

At 3 a.m., Zayn clutches onto his white comforter and pulls it closer to his chest.

At 3 a.m., Zayn smothers his face deeper into his pillow in need of any extra form of comfort.

At 3 a.m., Zayn's eyes begin to water wishing that he had not made the mistake of letting Liam go.

Halfway through 3 a.m. Zayn sits up and grabs his phone, the pain unbearable and the need to speak taking over him.

He doesn't need to think much to remember Liam's number, his trembling fingers just tap away.

When he hears the ringing of the phone run through his ear, Zayn's heart pounds furiously in his chest. The anticipation takes over and morphs with the fear that he will not get a response. At the fifth ring he's sure he won't, Liam never even let's the second ring go by, let alone the fifth.

But it was at the last ring that the phone was answered and the voice on the other end definitely wasn't Liam's. The voice was feminine and making pleasured sounds. Zayn heard manly pants and grunts follow up, indicating that there was some serious sex going on on the other end of the phone.

Zayn thought it better to hang up now and let all this go. Liam has moved on and that's okay. The sudden drop of his heart meant nothing, absolutely nothing.

Just when his thumb hovered over the End button, a voice finally spoke up and it definitely didn't belong to Liam.

"Hello," the male panted on the other end, the pleasured noises of the female being released after it assuring Zayn that the two were still in action.

Like Liam, the man's voice was deep and even, raspy and calm, but he didn't have that British accent. He sounded in the mix between Canadian and American. Zayn wasn't sure.

"Listen whoever you are, I'm kinda busy r- oh fuck- r-right now. So if you could just," another grunt, "say something or even hang up, that'd be- just like that baby, just like that- great."

Zayn gulped, body still with his mouth sealed shut. He wasn't sure why he wasn't speaking, but his mind wasn't registering anything at the moment. All he could do was continue listening, mind completely muting the woman out to listen to the man.

It was strange and hopefully the man was too busy to even think about the fact that Zayn still hasn't hung up.

"Jesus, so good for a lil' virgin," this earned him a whined moan from the female.

Praise was something Zayn naturally appreciated. He loved knowing that he was doing everything right which was almost, if not always, every time he had sex. Listening to the male give the woman such glory was like second hand rewarding on Zayn's part.

"Glad you're enjoying yourself."

For a moment, Zayn thought the man was talking to the girl, but it only took him five seconds to register the fact that he was actually speaking to Zayn.

"W-what," Zayn stuttered dumbly earning a chuckle that was cut off with a groan.

"For a second there I thought you fell asleep... or you were jerking off."

Zayn absolutely could not believe the fact that this guy was actually talking to a stranger on the phone while having sex. And not only that but he's technically initiating sexual conversation.

Who even does that?

"Don't- don't worry, I wouldn't mind. I already know how easily both genders get turned on by me."

Oh hell no.

"Somebody's conceited," the British man muttered.

"With reason," the stranger groaned in response, "if you want I can schedule a date to come by your place. I always enjoy hearing moans coming from the British ones."

This was ridiculous. There was no way he was about to continue on with the conversation.

"Sorry, got the wrong number," Zayn hissed, "goodnight you prick."

With that he hung up with his night ten times worse than it already had been... or ten times better.

Either way the guy was a cocky asshole.

Zayn looked back at the number he had just called and groaned.

Liam's number was 516-555-1598 and the guy's was 516-555-1568.

One number, one freaking number and at 3 a.m. Zayn was introduced to the biggest dickhead known to man.

'~'~'~'

HI. TELL ME IF YOU LIKED IT. I think I'll enjoy this. It's a slow build since their only form of communication is over the phone for a very long period of time. Hope you guys enjoy this story and I love you.