Chapter 7

"Would you mind-"

You yank the sealed envelope away from Ayato's demanding hands, walking away from the front door.

"Well if you won't let me have it, then read it to me," Ayato's arms drop to his sides from his temporary defeat. You're surprised that he's acting half decent for more than a second.

"..." You squint at him to make sure he's really the Ayato you're familiar with.

"If you could JUST-"

There he is.

Ayato makes a sudden sweep for the paper in your hand before failing and furrowing his brows.

"Read it," he urges you, his irritation growing by the second. It's almost funny to see him so frustrated. Obviously, you can't help but egg him on more.

"Bold of you to assume I can read," you grin, holding the letter behind your back.

"You-"

"What is going on here?"

Reiji appears in the lobby, posture uptight as ever, glaring at you and Ayato.

"Hey. A letter was delivered just now, from..." you show him the letter, sealed with purple wax coated with some kind of metallic dusting.

Reiji scans over the sender's name. His face gives the slightest twitch, but otherwise his expression stays neutral.

You get closer to take a better look and spot Karlheinz written in stylized letters on the back of the cover. Reiji whips out a letter knife from seemingly nowhere, almost stabbing you, and tears open the paper carefully. He takes the clean sheet of paper from your hands and quickly skims over the contents of the letter before sighing.

"I suppose I'll summon the others."

Ayato saunters off to the nearest couch and plops down with his arms splayed over the backrest; you follow and sit on the couch across from him, crossing one leg over the other. You glare at him, he glares back.

Not long after, all six brothers are gathered in the lobby. Both you and Ayato have silently agreed to ignore each other for the time being.

Exhaling through your nose, you stop admiring your chipped nails and look up, noticing Subaru who's standing against one of the decorative pillars in the room. Laito has practically draped himself over Yui, who's seated beside you. Shuu is lying on another couch listening to music. The rest of the brothers are huddled in various spots in the main room. At least they're pretending to look normal.

Reiji starts reading the letter aloud:

My dearest sons,

I am afraid-

"'My dearest sons'," Ayato mocks.

"Silence, Ayato," Reiji glares at him before turning back to the letter and clearing his throat.

-afraid I will not be able to tell you all this in person, meaning everything I need to say will be included in this letter. The pleasant young girl-

You grin in triumph, basking in the praise. "Did you hear that? He called me pleasant." Reiji shoots you a dirty look.

-who just arrived is the sacrificial bride. Meanwhile, I wish for Y/N to remain untouched.

Your jaw drops. A hint of a smile flashes across Reiji's features as he sends you a quick glance. Ayato starts losing it, laughing uncontrollably. You cross your arms and frown. You wish you had something to throw at him, but grabbing a pillow would not only disturb Yui but also earn you a one-way ticket to Reiji hell™.