Chapter 1

Yorkshire Academy.

Built in 1984.

Known for the large building accommodating hundreds of talented students, along with the large number of classes it has to offer.

Total population of 842, including students, teachers, and faculty members.

It was a large school made of red brick, built in an Italian style. A gray fence surrounded the acres of green pastures that were the school’s foundation. Students carrying books milled about the whole of the area, chatting aimlessly about homework, lovers, and annoying teachers.

Well, I assumed that was what they were talking about. I wasn’t exactly a typical high-schooler so I wasn’t exactly sure. Not that I cared. And it definitely didn’t matter what they were talking about anyhow.

I grinned as I watched the scene unfold before me. I wasn’t sure if I should be pitiful for the students that were not aware of the mess they were about to be swept into, or to be simply amused.

I lied.

There wasn’t anything I enjoyed more than the shocked expressions of the speechless people who were my victims.

Call me a sadist; I won’t deny it. I don’t care anyways.

I clasped my hands together almost giddily. I knew I really shouldn’t be here, at the place where people could see me, remember me, and become witnesses. At the place that would soon become the scene of a major crime.

But I couldn’t stand the idea of not being able to witness one of our creations.

A stone statue of an angel exploded, and people began to scream.

A Cheshire grin splitted across my face.

Suddenly explosions started everywhere. Grass flew into the air and was blasted around by the heat and wind, along with trees, and fragments of stone, glass, and metal.

Success.

Gray smoke covered everything, so I knew no one would notice the hooded figure that slipped out through an opening in the fence. Even if the smoke hadn’t veiled my actions, and even if I had gone out right through the main entrance, I doubt anyone would have noticed anyhow though. Everyone was in too much of a panic, and all was chaos. I was confident that nobody would even ever remember me being here.

I stopped walking when I walked past a dark alleyway that reeked of animals, trash, and alcohol. It wasn’t that I enjoyed the view, or the smell, but the flash of blonde I had saw in my vision.

I froze, all previous thoughts of celebration disappearing. I could take out a gun for safety, but even though there were no signs of people nearby – they had all gone to see the commotion back at the school – I didn’t want to do anything suspicious that could attract unwanted attention. I shoved my baseball cap further down on my head, ensuring that my brunnet locks were hidden safely within and that my green eyes were shadowed from view. But even after five minutes, not a single sound came from the alleyway, and I could sense no movement.

I finally relaxed my tense muscles and took a step. Nothing happened. Maybe I had imagined it. I must have. Paranoia was finally getting to me, I thought bitterly. I ducked my head and walked away purposefully, stuffing my hands in the pocket of my trench coat. Even if I had imagined the blonde hair, that didn't mean it was safe for me to loiter around somewhere that was still close to the school. Even after the amount of distance I had placed between the school and myself, I could still hear explosions coming from behind me, and I knew if I looked back I would be able to see the fire and smoke. I also knew that the commotion would have grown by now, meaning the police would have arrived. Meaning it would be harder for me to leave with each passing second. My Insider® buzzed telling me it was time to go.