Chapter 13: Mending

Start from the beginning

"Ah, the was perfect." He says as they get up.
"It was. Probably the best steak ever." She sighs happily.
He places fifteenth dollars at the bar and the man thanks him.
"So... it's not too late. Do you want to take a walk?" He asks.
She looks at her watch and sighs.
"I can't. I have an early surgery tomorrow at 4 in OR 6. Maybe you come watch me and we can take a walk after or get breakfast or both?" She asks.
"I'll be there." He moves his hand to hers.

She locks their pinky's and he smiles as they walk into the parking lot. She stands in front of her car and he tugs her fingers, coaxing her to turn towards him. He leans down and holds her cheeks. Before he can do anything, she shakes her head.
"I can't." She whispers, stepping into his grip.
"It's okay." He nods, rubbing her temple.
"Good night." She whispers.
"Will you go to the prom with me in a week?" He asks as he pulls away and steps back while holding her cheeks.
"I'll get back to you." She smiles as he nods.
He turns around and feels his fingers being pulled. She grabs his collar and presses her lips into his cheek. When she pulls away, he watches her get into the car, flabbergasted.

One week later

"Hey." Addison smiles as Derek limps into the trailer.
"Hey." He nods and leans his crutches against the walls.
"Did you catch anything good today?" She asks.
"Nope. Just trout. I'll make eggs." He sighs.
"It's okay. I'm not hungry and I don't feel like eating." She shakes.
"You have to eat Addie. Just have a few bites at least." He says as he flips an omelet. The toaster sounds and two pieces spring up. He places it all on a plate at the table. He cooks himself eggs and toast before sitting opposite her.
"I think you should go to the ferryboats. Help you get peace with your leg." She says softly.
"I am fine and so is my leg. Besides, I don't like ferryboats." He shakes his head at her comment, his mood already ruined.
"Derek. It's not healing." Addison whispers.
"Worry about the baby, not me okay?" He asks sarcastically as he chews his toast.
"Since when did you hate ferryboats?" She asks.
"I guess I'm just not as into them as I used to be." He claims.

That was the worst lie he had ever told. How could he not like ferryboats if he had loved them his whole life? The truth was that he missed Meredith. They had gone to the ferryboats every single day whether it was nighttime or early in the morning.
"I'll try the ferryboats." He says softly, putting his dishes in the sink before pulling on navy scrubs. He groans gently as he grabs his crutches. As he drives, he thinks involuntarily about her on the ferryboat. The wind in her golden hair that she would always tie it back and tuck it in her shirt. He would always untie it and let it flow over his face while holding her waist. He gets out of the car at the docks and takes a deep breath of the salty air. If only it smelled like it did when he was with Meredith. He walks to the second-highest floor, getting looks at his limp. Bracing the dark green railing, he looks out over Elliot Bay as he remembers his favorite conversations with her.

"Why do you ride the ferryboat every day?" She asks as he tightens his grip around her fingers.
"It balances out my self-confidence. Some people are arrogant doctors because they think they are perfect. The ferryboat reminds me that I am one person in 7 billion." He says as she pulls his arms around her waist.
"It does make people seem incredibly insignificant doesn't it?"
"Yeah." He chuckles as she turns in his arms.

He corners her at the edge of the railing with his arms while he smiles. She holds his jaw and scratches gently before standing on her tips toes. He leans down and meets her lips softly. Her arms wrap his neck and she tugs on the hair on his nape, the raven locks surrendering their tangles to her fingers. His hands slide off the railing and onto her hips. He grips tightly and small, incoherent sounds leave his throat. Her tongue tangles with his and he can't breathe. She starts getting lightheaded when he rips their lips apart grudgingly. They laugh hoarsely while he wraps her neck with his strong arms. He pushes her hair to one side and buries his face in her neck, making her laugh.