01: the first drop of rain

I HAD A terrible habit

I HAD A terrible habit. The habit of getting lost.

It wasn't always the kind of lost where you physically didn't know where you were.

Sometimes, my wild imagination was enough to take me to lands far, far away- away from the land of the living, and I'd end up losing myself in them.

Maybe I'd find hidden treasure in the depths of the ocean, maybe I'd twirl in a silk gown at a masquerade ball, maybe I'd discover magic swirling around my fingertips and command the forces of nature-

-Or maybe, I'd get lost chasing a butterfly. Yeah, that sounds more likely, doesn't it?

Because it happened. For once- my mind hadn't taken me on an adventure. My feet had.

And now, I was actually, physically, lost.

First I was distracted because of the pretty butterfly. Then I got carried away because of all the tiny flowers that were making a trail through the trees. After that, it was the distant sound of running water.

I hadn't realized that the sky above me was darkening rapidly. Neither had I thought about how I was venturing deeper, and further into the trees than I had ever dared to before.

My worn-out shoes were covered in dirt, some of the muck had smeared onto my clothes as well- the birds above were growing quieter. But I didn't care.

All I could focus on was how the distinct gush of water was getting louder, and how the earthy smell in the air told me I was close to what I was about to find.

A river, maybe? I pondered to myself, as I walked over a long fallen tree trunk- holding both my arms out to make sure I had enough balance, Or a waterfall? It would be a pretty spot- it had to be, I knew that much.

My eyes flickered upwards towards the sky, as I paused for a moment, steadying myself by holding onto the trunk of the nearest tree.

The brightest of the stars were slowly starting to appear. I had ventured into the trees just as dusk was starting to set in, but it still surprised me how fast it had gotten dark- it was still summer after all. The last day of vacation before my senior year began.

It was a good thing my phone was still functioning. Although it was one of the oldest models of the iPhone, it had a flashlight that served well- so I could navigate my way through the damp mud and thick roots without tripping all that much.

I knew it was only a few meters away now. The gushing of water was much louder than it had been minutes ago- but the thick trees and shrubbery in front of me were hiding it- whatever it was.

It took ten steps, maybe twelve after squeezing through the gaps when I finally found myself walking into a small clearing, hidden behind all the bushes.

And at that moment, when the sight in front of me finally met my eyes, I couldn't care less if I was lost.

"Oh wow," I breathed softly, stepping closer- my eyes widening with awe.