Chapter 9

11 Months Later

        I sat in the living room listening to everyone laughing. Sam, Jason, John, and Henry stood by the couch where I was sitting, talking about the past. My phone buzzed and I looked down at the screen. It was a text from my brother. 

        I send him a quick reply before shoving the phone into my pocket. Though I loved my brother, he decided that he would join our parents on their mission to get me to move on. "Ella!" My mom calls my name and I stand up and slowly look around. Speak of the devil and it shall appear. 

        My mom was making her way towards me with a man in tow. I quickly look him over. One thing I would say in my mom's favor; she knew how to pick 'em. "Ella, this is Dean Gibson. Dean, my daughter Ella." I extend my right arm and as he shakes it, his eyes fall on my left stump. 

        My mom leaves us alone and I could feel the guys behind me staring at us. "Nice to meet you Dean."

        "You too Ella. Um," he rubs the back of his neck, "What do you do? Your mom didn't really tell me much." I just shrug. "I used to be a Navy Seal. It's been almost a year since I was discharged." 

        "What happened?" He asked. "Lost it on a mission. I don't like to talk about it." I say softly looking out the window. Dean doesn't say anything as we just stand there. Five minutes later and I couldn't take anymore. Giving him an excuse of going to the kitchen, I hurry out the back door and into the woods. 

        Leaving the party behind me, I quickly make my way to the cabin. I meant to show the guys before we left for D.C., but I kept putting it off. Taking my time to walk the path that was now littered with fall colored leaves, I let the memories of Luke flood me. 

        Soon the sounds of the party were replaced by the sounds of nature. I almost smiled as I heard several birds singing in the trees around me. Stepping out of the woods, I eye the cabin before me. Walking towards the small pond beside it, I slip my shoes off and sit down, sliding my feet into the cool water. 

        My phone vibrated several times, but I just turned it off. Even though I liked having everyone around, I found that I just needed some space to think. They meant well, but it felt like they were smothering me with their love. 

        Laying back on the grass, I close my eyes. Nothing but the sound of a gentle breeze slipping through the trees tickled my ears. A real smile slipped on my lips as I began to doze off. Several hours later, I woke up hearing my name being called. 

        Picking up my shoes, I turn back towards the woods. I could make out the guys and Jake. Glancing up at the sky, I frown. It was dark, so I was guessing that it was almost 7. Just several feet into the woods I run into John. 

        He grabs my arm and hugs me. "Where in the world did you slip off to Ella? We were worried sick!" 

        "I just needed some time to myself John. Time to sort my own thoughts out without having everyone trying to talk to me." I see him nodding like he understood. Pulling out his phone, he called someone. "I've found her. We'll be back at the house shortly." 

        We walked back to the house in silence. As we walked through the backyard, I saw that almost everyone was gone. Scanning the faces standing around, I let out a small breath of relief when I didn't see Dean. Once I was in the safety of my room, I sit in the middle of my bed and turn my phone back on. 

        Scrolling through the messages, I spot one from General Stella. Over the past months, he or his wife would call and chat for several minutes. They were trying to get to know me. I was a part of Luke that they had left, so I understood. It was easier to talk to them it seemed than my family. Playing the voicemail, I lay back onto my pillow. 

        "Ella, this is Ira Stella. Listen, something's come up. You need to call me as soon as you recieve this message. It's regarding Luke. Call me please." Staring at my phone, I battled my min on whether or not to call back this late. 

        Laying the phone on the dresser with plans to call him back early tomorrow, I roll over and fall asleep thinking of Luke. Around four, I jumped out of bed, a scream building in my throat. Somehow I managed to stop screaming bloody murder while having a nightmare. 

        Taking a deep breath, I strip and head towards the shower. after an hour of standing under the stream of hot water, I get out and dry off. Twenty minutes later I was slipping out of the house, dressed for a run. Stretching my legs, I take off at a good pace, focusing only on the surroundings around me. 

        I passed the school but I kept on going. I was running all out now but my breathing was still even. I could feel the stares of the people as I flew past them. I didn't realize just how far from the house I was until I saw the town sign. Slowly down, I realized that my breathing was erratic and I was sweating like I was in a sauna. 

        Hearing my phone ring, I dig it out of my pocket and answer. "He...Hello?"

        "Ella, are you alright?" It was my father-in-law. "General. I'm...Fine. Just went for...A run." He chuckles. "I kind of caught that. Listen, do you have time to talk?"

        "Yes sir." I say as I work on slowing my breathing and heartbeat down. "I can talk right now." 

        "Good." I could hear him taking sevearl breaths and I instantly knew that whatever the news was, it was difficult for him to say. "I know the past months have been rough for you. They've been almost pure torture for the Mrs. and me, thinking our only son was dead. 

        "Two weeks ago, we had three Seal teams going after a group of American soldiers being held prisoneer by a terrorist group. They sent me picutres of each person they found in the compound. Luckily, every single one of them were alive, though in rough condition." I couldn't understand why he was telling me this. 

        "At first none of the men looked familiar. But as I looked at them closer, I found one that nearly blew my socks off. Ella, he's alive!"

        "Who's alive General?" I ask barely breathing. "Luke! Luke's alive." My heart jumped out of my chest at his words. I stuttered trying to speak. "H-How?" I finally managed to get out. 

        "We're not sure. There's some talk flying around that he was wounded initally when we thought him to bed killed. His body was never found, they must have picked him up and took him back with them. He's coming home Ella!" 

        "Th-That's great." I squeeked out, nerves eating at me. The news was great. Luke was alive and he would be coming home. But, yet, somehow I just couldn't wrap my mind around it completely. I've spent almost a year of my life trying to move on; trying to make myself realize that he wasn't coming back to me. 

        "Thanks for letting me know Sir."

        "You're welcome Ella. He'll be back here at the base in about two weeks. But you won't be able to see him until he's out of ICU." 

        "Understood." We hung up and I just stood there at the edge of town staring into space. I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn't hear my name being called. It wasn't until Jake grabbed my shoulders that I reacted. I grabbed his arm, twisted and made him fly over me. His body hit the ground hard and I saw who it was. 

        "I'm sorry Jake." I say as I help him up. "I didn't hear you." 

        "Obviously." He mutters as he rubs his back. "Are you alright little sis?" He asked stepping towards me. I open my mouth to speak but he cuts me off. "And don't lie to me. You've been lying to the whole family, and I hate it. I'm just asking for the truth Abriella." 

        I look him in the eyes and I feel the dam break. Tears pour down my face as he looks at me shocked and confused. "I'm not okay Jake." I whisper. "I married the man I love and lost him that same month. I didn't know I was carrying his child and I lost that part of him as well. 

        "Everyone's been pushing me to move on, to put that part of my life behind me. And I've tried. Don't you think I haven't tried. But it's hard when every time I close my eyes I see him, us, how we were suppose to be. And then, I get a call. A call that changes everything." 

        "What happened Ella?"

        "He's alive Jake. My Luke's alive."