FOUR

Jungkook's lips were soft and sweeter than any desert I had eaten before in the past

Jungkook's lips were soft and sweeter than any desert I had eaten before in the past. With familiarity, I pried open his mouth, biting on his lower lip. I loved to kiss him in this manner, biting him. My hands, which were wound around his body, tightened. At this moment, I wished fervently that Jungkook and I were the same inseparable entity, never to be torn or cut apart.

Soon, Jungkook could no longer suppress his desire, his long fingers twining around the back of my head, pushing me back as our bodies arched closer towards the other. His hands, sliding past my clothes, made contact with my body as they wandered across my skin.

Each time we made love, though Jungkook did not claim me violently, still, he would leave me aching the next day.

As I attended Jungkook's company gathering alongside him, I was dressed in ordinary, unassuming clothes. But I was very sorry to realise that this did not prevent Jungkook's supervisor from recognising me. I did not know if he was blessed with an all-seeing mind to recognise a jewel amongst stones, or if he possessed a simple mind which could not see past the obvious, but the end result remained unchanged. Even though I only wanted to be Jungkook's dutiful wife and not the chairman of some board of directors within this city, all of Jungkook's colleague were unable to see this simple wish.

After my father passed away, I succeeded him to become the figurehead director of his enterprise, but I was truly only a figurehead - a director in name. I did not have the energy required to manage a corporation, nor did I wish to waste any time on anything unrelated to Jungkook.

But I still underestimated the way people gravitated towards the wealthy and powerful. As I fended off their advances, I felt extremely wronged - I was clearly not the protagonist, but I was surrounded by a sea of people swarming towards me. Helpless, my eyes searched desperately for Jungkook within the endless people.

Eventually, I found him.

He stood beyond the crowd, a wineglass in his hands. As our eyes met, his lips lifted in a strange smile, the derision within his gaze unmasked.

This was not the Jungkook I knew.

Abruptly, I felt as though I had committed a heinous crime. Even as I struggled to break free from the crowd, moving past the wall of people gathered around me to search for Jungkook, his figure had already disappeared from my field of vision.

When we finally returned home, the first words Jungkook said to me were, 'Congratulations. Miss Manoban, no, I should say, Chairman Manoban, you've succeeded in interfering even with my job.'

I stiffened, the ice in his words curling around my heart. I had not even taken my shoes off. I could not wear high-heels, but for Jungkook, tonight, I had worn them for five hours straight. The bottom of my heels was muddied with dirt from when I had wade through the flower bed in order to chase him.

I bit on my nails, not knowing what to say in response.

In the end, I lowered my gaze and said, 'Jungkook, I love you.'