XVI. Awry, Amiss just Plain Wrong

Start from the beginning

Thoughts of Nuri in my bed, moaning my name and sighing with pleasure swarm me. Than her beautiful body is flush against mine. Before I know what's happening, I come to and she's gone, the bed is empty now and she's gone and Emma is in her place, staring up at me.

I chucked the phone at the wall effectively turning it into debris, then punched blindly and wildly at the mirror which smashed to nothing.

"Mr. King," Adelaide came in to the room stopping short at the sight of me and the rubble.

"Bring me a phone," I said pacing back and forth again.

She did not move only watching me.

"Get me a fucking phone. Now. "

She jumped at my clipped tone but quickly left to find what it was I asked for.

I was so far gone that my body shook with rage... and fear. How could she leave my bed and go to.... to Emma. What the hell was in her head? She was going to get herself killed.

I can handle my own shit, I was handling it. Kayman was dealt with and it was only a matter of time before Emma met her fate.

I was handling my shit. My legs gave out and I plopped down on the edge of the bed, my face falling to my hands.

Emma was the type to size women up, I couldn't stand the idea of Nuri standing before my ex wife as she assessed her. Nuri, with her innocent smile and kind words forced to be picked apart by some lying bitch who thought herself better than me and what I stood for.

She didn't deserve to see the source of my happiness.

"Where's that phone goddammit?" I barked.

Adelaide rushed in with her hand extended, her cell phone in place. "Use this Mr. King."

I took it from her and called Nuri's number first. As it rang once, twice, three times, I swallowed hard and cursed when it went to voicemail. Ending the call, I dialed Ambrose right away.

It rang once, twice, and went to voicemail. "Got a call from Humes just now, worried about Nuri. He says she's at Emma's today. I guess you know about that already. Call me."

I handed the phone back over to Adelaide and stalked out of my room toward Nuri's. I dumped the contents of her bags on her bed and sifted through looking for anything that would clue me in to where I could find her.

There was nothing.

"Is there something I can help you with Mr. King."

"Not unless you know where Nuri is right now." I stopped to gauge her for a response.

She had nothing.

She looked down to her hands, seemingly at a loss for words. She looked misplaced and .... I know it's because I'm being a dick.

I sobered, grabbing hold of my thoughts before they ruled me. "Adelaide. I'm sorry about what I said. I didn't mean to- -,"

"It's alright Mr. King. I understand that you're worried for her. Is there anything I can do to help?"

Sadly there wasn't a damn thing she could do to help right now. I needed my girl in my arms ... back here with me. Who knows what Emma might have said to her by now.

I shook my head. "Just- - wait for her call, keep an eye out on her apartment. If you see her, please tell her- -," moisture filled my eyes. "Just tell her to come home. Tell her. . . I'm really sick and I need her. Say whatever you got to say to get her to come home."

Adelaide's eyes took me in, the pity in them now mocking me. I pushed past her and barely registered her hand on my wrist. Looking down, I saw her place her cell phone in my hand.

"You'll need this. I have the house phone. Should Ms. Hart call or come home.... I'll be here to receive her."

It should not have affected me the way it did, but I couldn't help wrapping Adelaide in my arms for a tight hug. She patted my back and said, "Be good, and go slow with her."

Stepping back, I nodded my reply and went about tracking her down.

*

I kept my eyes on the numbers in the elevator as they descended, the cell against my ear hoping to hear Nuri's voice.

Voicemail.

I swallowed down hard and tried to speak past the lump that was slowing forming in my throat. "Babe...," my words caught. I cleared my throat. "Baby. I think I broke my phone. Adalaide let me borrow hers so... in case you call me and don't find me... I've got her phone." I looked down at my feet as I rattled the cell phone number to her.

My arms were crossed over my chest and I willed my voice to remain steady. "Nuri. Where are you?" I sounded helpless even to myself. "When you get a chance, give me a call please. I just want to hear your voice."

I ended the call and kept my eyes on the descending numbers that weren't descended as fast as I would like them to.

I barely noticed the short grey haired elderly woman standing beside me and I jumped at the sight of her. Her grey brows went together her lips in a thin line as she rolled her cataract rimmed eyes at me.

I quickly exited once we go to the garage, and I tried Ambrose once more.

Voicemail again, fuck.

Ending the call once again, I sat in the Range slamming the door to a close. I didn't even know where to begin my search. I started my engine, with no place to go.

I sensed it and heard some light movement behind me before I could do anything about it. Something cold and hard struck my temple. I lost hold of my sense before everything faded to nothing.