15| romeo and juliet

SOMETHING SHIFTED, Rosie realised. It was easy to notice a change in the air amidst her routine-filled life, but harder to point out what the subtle change was. Sliding down to the seat beside Rory, she patted her hands against the table. "Does Stars Hollow look or... feel any different to you?" Rosie tested.

"Not really, no."

She leaned into the diner's table, unsatisfied with the answer. "Are you sure? Because I feel like something's..."

"Off?" Rory suggested, more focused on her assignment than the conversation.

"No, right." She responded shortly. "Things are too right. It's been a week since anything remotely bad happened. I'm not sure if it's because I didn't go to a party this week, or if the universe just decided to finally give me a break."

"Hey, Grandma and Grandpa just came back from their trip which means we have dinner this Friday, so don't jinx it just yet."

"Ah, the dreaded Friday night dinners." Rosie huffed, stabbing a fork into the piece of pancake on Rory's plate.

Rory looked up from her textbook at that. "They're not that bad. And besides, they always get us cool gifts when they come back from trips."

Rory and Lorelai only recently began visiting Emily and Richard weekly, whereas Rosie was obliged to visit them weekly ever since she moved to Stars Hollow. It was one of the rules they set for her before they agreed for her to move in with Lorelai. The weekly dinners weren't always mentally exhausting, not until Rosie entered her junior year of high school and they began talking about her future in Yale more persistently.

"You like it because you're their last hope; their golden child. The only Gilmore non-runaway." She used the fork to point at her intimidatingly. "I have to deal with an hour of them dropping not-so-subtle hints that i'm following Lorelai's life path, which to them, is the biggest misfortune of all misfortunes. The only thing that's redeeming me now is that I promised to continue the Gilmore's Yale family legacy."

Rory hummed, lost in though for a moment. "What ever happened to our second cousin— Mary?" She attempted to recall. "Why didn't she go into Yale?"

"One word; rehab."

   "Ooh." She paused for a moment. "You could apply to Harvard, you know." Rory suggested, beaming at the thought. "You have the grades for it. We could take trips on weekends, dorm together—"

"Don't tempt me." She cut her off, biting into another piece of pancake.

As Rosie continued to eat off of Rory's plate, too impatient to order and wait for a dish of her own in the diner, she saw Rory gape at something behind her. Rory's expression darkened, a sudden despair paling her face.

"What is it?" Rosie asked with a mouthful of pancakes.

"I need to go." She cleared her throat. Before Rosie could turn around to see who or what it was that changed her mood so abruptly, Rory said; "We have to rehearse before the play, and it's a long bus rode and..." Running out of excuses, she looked at Rosie hopefully. "Are you sure you can't make it? Everyone's going, it would mean a lot if you did too."

"Sorry, Ro, but this paper isn't going to write itself."

Still glancing at something behind Rosie, she tensely said; "I'll have Mom sneak in a camera and videotape it for you."

"That would be great." She said edgily, overly aware and curious of Rory's situation. She watched her walk off with a short, forced smile and slumped shoulders.