Chapter 8: Wonderland High

The Red Knight, or Chase Redford, reassured them that they would be fine. The party was at 4 o'clock, and school let out at 3 o'clock.

A morning full of strange classes that they somehow managed to pass passed quite quickly. At 12 o'clock, it was time for lunch. Thalia took one look at the lunch and almost gagged. Thankfully, Kokushibou noticed her distress and somehow cooked a great lunch for her.

"Thanks, Kokushibou," she muttered under her breath. "You're the best at cooking."

"What?!" whined Douma. "We're good at cooking too!"

"Douma burns everything, Akaza only knows how to defrost frozen food, Nakime forgets what to do, Daki insists on following her heart while cooking but it's always wrong, and Rui cuts everything into pieces," deadpanned Kokushibou. "Seriously Rui, you cut through a cutting board."

They all opened their mouths to protest, but closed them when they realized they couldn't argue. Thalia sniggered, but covered it up with a cough. That drew everyone's attention.

"Hey, how come you have a different meal?" asked Briar.

"My ghost friend made it for me," said Thalia. "Kokushibou is quite reserved, so I don't think he wants to make anything for you guys. Sorry."

"I kinda like how things in Wonderland just do their own things," said Raven.

"Yes..well, I wouldn't count on liking it all the time," said Lizzie nervously.

"Yeah," agreed Kitty, playing with a spoon. "Things in Wonderland have a way of getting tricky."

"Well, If we get too tricky, then we'll just figure it out!" Apple winked and put up finger guns. "Every puzzle has a solution."

"Ah, what a clever way to put it," sighed a newcomer. "Mind if I...take a seat?" She was sprawled across the lunch table, cooing at them. Something about her voice just rubbed Thalia the wrong way.

The newcomer was introduced as Courtly Jester. "Who..are you?" she asked, suspicious.

Apple cleared her throat nervously. "I-I'm Apple White, this is Briar, that's Raven Queen, and that's Thalia Reaper. We're from Ever After High."

"And you're here because..?"

"It's kind of a long story-" began Apple, but Lizzie interrupted her, saying that they did not have time to explain.

Thalia began zoning out of the conversation, instead listening to what the Upper Moons were whispering in her ear. Something about how much they didn't like Courtly already and how she was definitely up to something.

Thalia grew more and more agitated at the newcomer. The air around her felt heavier with more pressure, and she made sure Courtly felt it.

Eventually, the bell rang and afternoon classes began. Thalia's agitation did not leave and her companions felt it. All of them silently agreed to not anger her. They rushed toward their next class, which turned out to be chess.

Raven was horrible at chess and they began losing pieces quickly. Unfortunately, Chase Redford, as the Red knight, was ordered to attack Raven. He apologized, drew his sword and swung down. Raven threw up her hands to block the attack, closing her eyes and waiting for the sword.

But the sword never came. Instead, a phantom sword blocked the attack. They all looked around in confusion until Kokushibou let himself be seen. His very creepy sword had a blade that was fleshy red in color akin to the color of blood, with veins and his eyes all around his blade and even his hilt. His six eyes gleamed menacingly at Chase.

Thalia, who had asked him to help, hopped down the balcony herself and strode forward. Thankfully, since this was Un-chess, this was allowed. Chase attempted to attack again, but the ex-master swordsman blocked it with ease.

"Raven, it is your turn," said Thalia. "If you order me to fight the battle, I can. This guy is an amateur."

"Uh.." said Raven. "Okay! Thalia is now fighting the battle against the Red Knight!" And with that, Kokushibou stepped back and sheathed his katana.

Thalia raised her hand, the one wearing her chains, and the one on her index finger glowed before detaching and turning into a full-length katana.

"Attack!" ordered the Red Queen. Chase lunged forward, trying to attack.

And Thalia breathed.

Her blood flow accelerated, strengthening the already strong muscles in her body. After being taught a technique that enhanced her body, Kokushibou required her to do it constantly. Now, she took it to the next level.

She easily blocked the attack. Chase pressed on, trying to press her back. Still, she effortlessly held her ground, her expression never changing. Suddenly, the White Knight burst through.

"My lady! I will take over this battle for you!" said the knight. "You don't have to fight!"

"Hm?" said Thalia, turning her head over to the knight. Thinking she led her guard down, Chast swiped at her side. Unexpectedly, Thalia was gone. His eyes widened as he felt something cold and sharp on his neck.

"Don't move."

A drop of sweat rolled down his face as Chase felt the terrifying aura the future Bringer of Death emitted. After a second, Thalia removed her sword. "You may take my place," she said to the White Knight. Using one hand, she tossed her sword into the air. It glowed, before shrinking rapidly and falling down down down until it reached her hand again. It was drawn to her pointer finger like a magnet, reattaching to the chain.

Raven, realizing it was her turn, ordered the battle to become a dance battle instead. Thalia clapped happily as she watched the two knights dance. Eventually, Chase slipped and fell backwards, allowing them to pass. The girls gathered together.

They turned to the White Knight, but the person wearing the armor was gone. The white rabbit appeared, informing them of a schedule change. A trap door opened beneath them and they fell into darkness.

The lights turned on and they were in a huge cube made of glass with no entry or exit. Courtly Jester could be seen in the audience. The March Hare pulled a lever and tea began to seep in.

The tea rose quickly, threatening to drown them. The Upper Moons floated around the outside, banging on the glass, worried for their friend. Thalia squeezed her eyes shut. Oh, she was really starting to miss Cupid. She wished to be out already.

With a poof, she appeared on the roof of the cube. Raven, catching on, thought outside the box. Literally. And she too appeared on the roof. Everyone else followed her lead and they all escaped.

The March Hare pressed another button and they vanished. When the dust cleared, they had shrunk. Maddie then led them through a tiny door and into a hallway, which led to an even tinier door. Lizzie opened it to find an office.

With the reveal of the Vice Principal's office came the reveal of the traitor.

Courtly Jester herself.