Chapter Twelve: Birthdays and Bonfires

Start from the beginning

It was what made her fall from the top of the tree, high above everyone else, then plummeting down until she was no more powerful than all the other leaves decaying on the earth.

My head was thinking too much about her already. God, was this what it would be like from now on? Sympathising with the devil herself?

No way. Not on my watch.

I shook the thought out of my head and exited the bedroom going to the bathroom instead and brushing my teeth.

*

“Hi, I was just wondering if I could get some medicine for early pregnancy um… problems,” I stumbled as the pharmacist looked at me up and down understanding.

I took the opportunity and the excuse of finding Harry an IPod to go to the pharmacy in the supermarket and try to get some medical advice for Anna.

Call me a softie but it would be a stupid idea not to ask since she obviously hadn’t.

“What symptoms are you experiencing Miss, and how many weeks are you in?” the pharmacist asked with a kind smile.

“It’s actually not for me but she’s two months in and vomiting huge amounts of blood,” I said, the image of Anna slumped over the toilet and blood spilling from her mouth uncontrollably resurfacing.

The pharmacist frowned in thought before pulling out a large folder from underneath the counter. By the worried look on his face I guessed that wasn’t good.

“Well Miss, morning sickness is expected in early pregnancy but if you are saying there is lots of blood as well I advise you to get your friend to a GP as soon as possible. We have had a case like this before, it’s called Mallory-Weiss tears which is when the lining of the oesophagus tears and bleeds. If this is the case then you must see a doctor, chances are it could simply be the throat bleeding after severe vomiting and blood vessels popping,” he explained and my stomach churned.

Would the baby be okay?

“Do these tears effect the baby growing?” I questioned in a small voice, but I didn’t understand why I was so worried about Anna’s baby.

Baby…

Every time the word was said it shook me to the core. How could she have been so incredibly careless? Did she want to ruin her teenage hood?

“I’m sorry but that’s as much as I know,” he apologised pointing at the folder with diagnosis papers. “You must take her to the doctors very soon in case the problem develops. But for now I’ll give you some medicine for the nausea and morning sickness. That should help her anyway,”

I nodded certainly planning on taking her there but I had to remind myself this was Anna Brooks. I may be accommodating her but care was not in the agreement. Perhaps Corey or George could take her.

The pharmacist passed me some boxes of tablets and a few leaflets on pregnancy which I shoved in my bag so Harry wouldn’t see all the while thinking too much about that baby growing inside Anna, the bitch.

*

“Happy Birthday slut!” Liam cheered as I took my seat beside him on the bus on Friday morning. I scowled and covered his mouth with my hand.

“Shh. I don’t want you saying anything about my stupid birthday,” I whispered and glanced at Anna who also took her seat by George. Apparently the ‘Zoe sitting by Liam’ thing only lasted one day. A silently agreement had been made and now Zoe sat by another one of Anna friends and Anna sat by George on the right side.

“Why not? You’re seventeen and I did some research…” he trailed off taking out his phone from his pocket and typing in something I couldn’t see. I laughed at his secretive expression.