Chapter Twelve: Birthdays and Bonfires

Start from the beginning

“Chilli-con-carne,”

“Salmon and leeks,”

“Beans on toast,”

“Beans on toast?” Harry said bewildered. I gazed as Abi but she simply shrugged.

“It’s a classic, simple and tastes great. Don’t judge me!” she defended raising her hands with a smile.

“Okay, well I’ll have a look what’s on offer and new,” he agreed placing the list in his back pocket.

“Meanwhile, I’m going to find you guys a birthday present,” I said sneakily with a grin. They both widened their eyes.

“At Sainsbury’s!” they exclaimed and I got that weird synchronised twin vibe again.

“Hey, you can buy IPods at Sainsbury’s,” I said before putting my hand over my mouth.

Busted.

“Omigod! Seriously! You’re buying us an IPod!” Abi cheered her brown eyes gleaming with glee.

I gave each of them a stern look. “Only if you’re good,”

They laughed lightly and came around to give me a big hug. I was surprised by their eagerness but welcomed the embrace anyway. Their tiny limbs were choking me.

“Hey, it’s not your birthday until the twenty fourth so don’t get too excited, you’ll explode otherwise,” I said, prying their arms off my neck before getting up to serve Anna some granola too.

As I poured the milk into the bowl of crunchy goodness and sprinkled some extra dry fruits and nuts into it, no one spoke and when I turned around I knew why.

“Why have you got another bowl of cereal, Cassie?” Harry’s eyes narrowed into suspious slits. I looked down at the bowl.

“I’m really hungry,” I lied and stood there for several minutes watching my siblings looked at me with weird expressions. It was true that I never had second helpings, so the oddness was expected.

“Well… aren’t you going to eat it?” Abi persisted eying me shadily. I realised I’d just been stood there for a few minutes just stirring the food I’d just claimed to eat.

“Well not with you two staring at me like hawks!” I joked, the lie coming of my tongue smoothly. “Go on, get your bags ready, I’ll be ready as well in ten minutes,”

Thankfully, they both dropped the odd glares and ran upstairs. I waited two minutes until I was sure they were in their rooms and followed, precariously balancing the cup of tea and bowl of granola in each hand.

I didn’t knock since it would be too loud and apprehensive for me to knock in my own house so I pushed the door open with my foot.

Anna was sat in the chair by the window, her wet hair plaited and her gaze lost behind the window pane.

Our estate wasn’t very exciting. It was surrounded by endless fields of sheep and trees which wasn’t even nice at the moment since it was nearing winter. She didn’t look up as I placed the food on her table.

Just before I left the room, I glanced out to where she was looking and sighed. I’d forgotten that this window looked back to the drive way and out to the large oak tree which named the estate.

The branches of the tree were almost bare, the last of the dead leaves drifting to the ground like fading red butterflies. Anna’s gaze followed every one that dropped to the cold ground, from the towering height of the trunk.

That must be what she felt like, one insignificant leaf slowly falling to the depth of the floor awaiting an injury from the nature.

Nature was the baby.