Chapter Thirteen: Gather

Start from the beginning

You grab a cushion from the nearby armchair and place it on the floor by her side. You sit on it, leaning against her legs and closing your eyes, listening to the sounds of her writing, happy to be near her again.

You just about melt when you feel her hand trace your scalp, playing with your hair and caressing you as she continues her work. You try and stay as still as possible so as not to disrupt her, even when one of your legs falls asleep. You didn't want anything to ruin this.

Then there comes a soft knocking on the door.

"Enter," responds Alcina, barely glancing away from her letters.

Sorina appears, with towels and another folded dress. You see her startle at the sight of you sitting so obediently by Lady Dimitrescu's side, though she quickly masks it with a bow of her head as she places today's gown on the end of the bed and moves to the en suite.

You hear water running and find yourself looking forward to freshening up, after the exertions of last night. You listen as the squeak of turning taps halts the flow of hot, steamy water. Sorina reappears, briefly, on her way out of the room. She shoots you a quick half-smile.

"Go on, pet," Alcina croons, softly.

The bath is bubbly and inviting. You slip into it and breathe out slowly, exhaling all of your tension. You lay in it, not moving for a while, eyes shut, allowing the scents and the warmth and the soap to seep into you and coddle you there. You jolt a little, however, when the sharp ringing of the phone in the next room takes you by surprise.

You hear Alcina pick the phone up from it's cradle.

You can't help but listen in.

"Mother Miranda, yes, I will be in attendance."

"I hardly think that will be necessary, or of any usefulness to... yes, of course."

"I understand. Thank you, mother."

You hear her put the phone down, a little too hard. Then comes a long, exasperated sigh. You feel a pang of unease, deep down in your stomach. It only grows when you hear Alcina begin walking towards the en suite.

You quickly dip your head under the water, wetting your hair so it looks like you've been preoccupied. When you re-emerge, you see she's already standing in the doorway, gazing at you thoughtfully. You blink at her through dripping hair and give a small, tentative smile.

"My lady? Did you want to join me?" you ask, coyly.

You manage to make her smile with that, and she chuckles darkly as she moves across to the chair by the bath, seating herself behind you.

"As tempting as that is, sweet girl, I'm afraid that will have to wait for another time," she murmurs, "but if you lean back a little, I'd like to wash your hair."

You feel your heart beat a little faster with excitement at the prospect. Alcina is removing her gloves and already pouring out some purple-coloured shampoo into her palm. You back up, leaning against the end of the bath, closing your eyes and sighing with contentment as you feel her begin to massage the shampoo into your scalp, oh so gently.

"Tonight, you will be joining me at a small gathering, pet," she begins, her fingers tracing along the length of your hair, "it is in regards to the lycan that attacked you the other day. They have some questions that they want you to answer."

You feel a knot form in your stomach. Alcina's voice is measured, but you can still tell that she isn't at all happy with the situation. You wonder if massaging the shampoo through your hair was actually a gesture to calm herself down more so than you. It fills you with apprehension.

Her MaidenOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara