Chapter 1 - Madison

Start from the beginning

He perks up, "What? There was another time?" A slight edge coats his voice and Vanessa chuckles nervously.

Boss's icy blues shift from Vanessa to me then back again until they stay on me.

"Is this true, Madison?" he asks in a low voice.

Reluctantly, I nod. I don't think too much of it. Vanessa is usually there to help against some of the guys. I haven't even told my family about this because my Mom would threaten me to quit immediately and we can't afford that.

"Why didn't you tell me? It's my right to know these things."

"I know, boss but I—"

"How many times have I told you to call me Jake?" he asks softly.

"I'm sorry boss but—" he glares at me. "I-I mean Jake. But we had things under control."

Vanessa nods beside me and his jaw feathers.

"Next time someone touches you like that? Let me know. Okay, Madison?"

"Okay."

He stares at me for a few more moments before turning towards the door. "Well, I'm heading out. Have a good night, ladies. Make sure to lock the place up on your way out." Then he walks out into the night, heading for his car.

I hear a sigh to my left and see Vanessa has now moved to rest her cheek against the top of the broom. Headlights flash as he drives away.

"Damn...that is one fine man. Too bad he's a man-whore."

"V!" I gasp, giving her an incredulous look. "He's your boss!"

"So? It's not like I'm going to do anything about it. I told you. He's got the hots for a certain someone."

I groan. "Vanessa, don't even get started."

"If you say it's because you're dating that hot asshole I'm going to-to-"

I raise a brow and she sighs. "Ugh, the point is, do NOT mention him." She starts sweeping and grumbles. "I don't know why you're still with him. He's horrible and—"

"I'm not." I finally admit and she peeks up.

"Please tell me I heard correctly and my dreams are starting to come true?"

I can't help but grin. "We broke up. Well, he broke up with me but the point is—"

"Thank fucking God!" She wraps her arms around me and then stops, realization settling in. "OMG sorry Lord Jesus Christ. Please don't punish me. I-I didn't mean that but I'm so so happy you finally freed my best friend from that douche!"

She squeals. "Finally! Why did you wait so long to tell me?"

I pull back from her embrace. "It's only been a few hours."

"A few hours too long! You should've told me the minute you came in!"

"Oh and interrupt you and your flirting?" I raise a brow and she giggles.
"That guy was hot."

I roll my eyes. "Anyway, Bryan and I are over. No more men for me."

"Don't say that, Mad! You just have to find the right guy!"

I stare at her and she adds, "You know how many hot men are out there?"
"Vanessa," I proceed to clean behind the bar. "Please. This is not about physical appearance. Look at where that landed me." A pause then. "I thought dating someone might help keep me from being jaded but it only made it worse. I don't believe there are any good men around."

"Mad..." Sadness coats her voice but I shrug it off. My Mom told me there were good men out there. Just because my father was that way didn't mean all men were yet I dated someone the complete opposite of him and he turned out to be just as controlling. Apparently, the opposite only ran in appearance. Never again.