Chapter 1 - Madison

Start from the beginning

"You little bitch. You're only saying that because someone has a certain soft spot for you."

I shake my head. For the past two years, Vanessa insists that Jake—who's approximately ten years older than us—has a thing for me.

"That's not true."

She raises a brow and stops, looking up from where she's sweeping. "Oh really?"

I shrug, I may be a tiny bit aware but I refuse to mix business with pleasure. It's not going to happen and I am not that girl anyway.

Out of the blue Vanessa begins tickling me and in reflex, I reach over to try to protect my sides from her playful ribbing.

"Stop!" I can't help but laugh. This is torture. She knows I hate getting tickled. "Stop! V, I'm sorry, okay? I'm sorry."

I'm doubled over, tears trickling down my eyes when I hear—

"Ladies."

A deep voice says from behind us, causing my eyes to widen.

Immediately, I stop laughing and turn to see our boss standing with his arms crossed over his broad chest.

"Lookin' good boss," Vanessa winks in his direction. "as always."

He scowls and glances at me, his gaze softening. "What are you doing, Madison? I thought I told you you were in charge of locking up."

"You told both of us to clean after the customers."

He frowns. "I told Vanessa to clean up after the customers, not you. You know that by now."

"And you should know boss that if you put me, you put her. Our friendship works both ways." She walks over and wraps her arm around my shoulders. "Right, Mad?"

I nod. "Right."

I met Vanessa two years ago when I saw the opening of Jake's Sports Bar and Bistro. I decided to apply since I had nothing to lose. One more rejection, right? I know that's a pessimistic thought but I had the worst luck when it came to finding a job. Vanessa showed up shortly after. A pep to her step and confidence radiating from her petite frame. I was sitting at one of the tables when she walked up to me and introduced herself with a smile.

I was a bit skeptical at first, not knowing her intentions since my so-called "friends" abandoned me for others they considered their true friends. Messed up I know, but I gave my all in our "friendship." Either way, I was hesitating but she didn't seem to mind my quiet and reserved self. She was so cheerful and optimistic I couldn't help but converse with her. We both got interviewed and she basically took me under her wing. She's a year younger than me but has the confidence I wish I could have. Hell, even my sister Trinity. I should really take some classes from them.

"Why is it boss," Vanessa asks, curiosity coating her tongue. "That I'm the one who always gets stuck cleaning by myself? Those bathrooms?" She waves a hand in front of her nose and I hold back a grin. "Absolutely disgusting. I'm honestly starting to feel degraded after all the chores you make me do."

"They aren't chores. It's your job. Besides," he leans against the bar counter which I've thankfully wiped down. "It may be because you always fall asleep on the job."

"That was one time!"

"Or maybe it's the fact that you started arguing with one of the customers. Or what about that one time when—"

"Okay, I get it. Sheesh." V rolls her eyes. "The only reason why I even started fighting with that douche is because he dared to smack my friend's ass." She wraps an arm around my shoulders. "No one touches my best friend without permission."