Maximus nodded tightly, his eyes glued to Emma.

She didn't like the way he was looking at her. Emma couldn't see the smile on his face, the glimmer of love in his eyes. .the flash of possessiveness. .no, she couldn't see anything. .

Before her eyes, he gave her his back and walked away with thundering steps.

Leaving her aching for some reason.

××××××××××××

He pushed his hand in his hair.

Standing in front of his sister's room—the person he could put his life on line for—he had to take a decision.

Either let Diana believe Jake was faithful or destroy her world.

He rubbed his face down, the ground beneath him seemed to be shaking but it were merely his hands that shook .

But he knew. . 

Knew well which path he had to take.

He had to kill his sister's hope.

Placing his large hand on the door, he didn't had the courage to walk in. See the pure happiness on her face and then tell her straight away. .

Watch the happiness leave her eyes.

If you don't want to be with her why don't you leave her?!! Why play ?!! Why Jake?

His lips twisted bitterly .

If that maid hadn't come in between. .he didn't know what he would have done.

Kill her or kiss her? Ask her whose kiss did she love the most?

His or Jake's?

His heart could shatter all it wanted and it wouldn't matter to him because what mattered was his sister.

Taking a deep breath in, he fixed himself and made up his mind as he turned around the bolt and entered in.

"—i can't believe this is happening to us! You know it! I always dreamed about having a—" Diana stopped as she saw him coming in.

"He's here. I can't wait to see his reaction! Love you too!" Grinning wide, she cut the call and dumped the phone on the bed.

Maximus could almost feel the happy vibes radiating off of her.

Breaking your loved one's heart had to be the most difficult thing in the world.

How was he going to break the news?

He opened this mouth and shut it again.

Not finding the right words.

Just when he opened his mouth again, Diana came in on him. Her arms going around his waist, her cheek pressed against his beating heart.

"I have news." She whispered.

"Yeah?" His voice was raspy.

"You won't believe it though."

"Try me." He replied for her sake.

Slowly, she pulled back. .her eyes literally glowing with pride.

Maximus looked away.

"Hey," she said softly. . raising her hands and cupping his face to look at her.

He did.

"Did something happen?" She asked now sounding worried. Her eyebrows knotting at the sight of he brother.

He swallowed.

"Yes." His lips turned dry.

"What is it?"

He shook his head slightly.

"You said you have news for me?" Maximus reminded her not wanting to break her right now. .maybe five  minutes later? Maybe he should give her this night. .

"Right. ." She answered looking distracted and then a small smile filtered on her beautiful face as she looked him in the eyes.

"I'm pregnant."

Her voice was soft and to Maximus , the world erupted in chaos. His heart drummed wildly in his body as he stared in sheer disbelief at the smiling face of his sister.

"You're. .what?"

"Not what, brother. Pregnant. Repeat after me. Pregnant." She gave him a spastic grin.

And Maximus couldn't help but crush her softly against his chest, his chin tucked on top of her head . .his decision catching fire . .all that was left behind were ashes.

"I promise you, D. I'll never let anyone ruin your world. I'll never allow anyone to harm so much as your hair. No one can succeed against you when I'm in this world. I'll be your shield, D. I'll be your shield."

××××××××××××××