83 - Harry | Verge

Start from the beginning

And I was also quick to notice there were a few securities inside. If they were as slow as the ones we killed outside then we had nothing to worry about.                        
The familiar thrill was running through my veins ever since I snapped that man's neck, but tonight I was more worried than anything else. Cleo was so fucking numb that I was scared of how unexpected her actions could be, and I could see her from where I was standing if I glanced into the main room.                                                    

She was many feet away from me, carefully making her way to the opposite corner, looking around like a predator analyzing their environment... trying to decide the best way to corner and kill their prey.

I hadn't seen my father or Catherine yet, but I recognized a few of my father's friends. Some of the masks they were wearing barely covered their faces, and the way everyone was acting so fucking casual was triggering the dormant rage inside me.

I was doing my best to stay calm, for Cleo.

But sadly, I wasn't as calm as she probably thought I was. Walking around in the dark with just a small flashlight tended to affect me in more ways than one. Having her with me tonight was helpful, but it didn't mean I wasn't scared shitless, I had no control over this.

I hated feeling weak and helpless around her, I just wanted to make sure she was safe.

Cleo hadn't talked about Niall at all in the past days and I didn't see her cry. She was acting as if her brother never died, and I knew they weren't so close before he was killed but either way, he was her brother... and I just knew that neither of us was ready for the moment she decided to deal with these repressed emotions. Cleo was a ticking time bomb, and I knew the feeling all too well.

Even though she was probably more dangerous than me.

This whole situation with Niall sucked, it still didn't feel real. He was honestly clueless about all this, and having him killed was a reckless and impulsive choice, purely out of revenge.

This instantly made me assume that whoever was behind this, was deeply traumatized. And I wouldn't be surprised, I mean, Cleo and I already agreed that these were the two unknown children that Amber couldn't find from the files.

They were trafficked and that probably led them to lose their fucking minds, and I didn't judge.

But sadly they had messed with the wrong people, and they killed Niall. Therefore they hurt Cleo, and they added my dead mother's name to a fucking list that made no sense, and they turned my life into a chaotic mess.

They were mistaken if they thought they would lay a fucking finger on Cleo, that's why we were here tonight.

We would focus on my father and her mother first, get the answers we needed and kill them, and then we'd move on to the list.

I didn't want to tell Cleo how terrified I was feeling about facing my father like this. That I would always feel that eerie tingling in my skin around him, because he actually affected me much more than I should ever allow. I was good at pretending I was okay with it, fuck, I tried to convince myself I was.

I wasn't scared of him, but at the same time I was. I couldn't explain, but I just didn't feel safe at all. And it was getting stronger and way too real tonight, because this actually was a life-changing situation.

The plan was to kill my father.

Get your shit together, Harry.

I took a very deep breath before I checked the main room again, but this time I couldn't spot Cleo. Her dress was very easy to find among the crowd of mostly black dresses, but I couldn't see her. I had been so lost in my thoughts that I hadn't seen her leaving at all... had she already spotted her mother and now she was focused on her plan?