16: Nerds Are Babysitters

Start from the beginning

"Are we ready?" Jayden asks, plopping down on the right edge of the couch.

I nod, choosing to sit next to Jayden. I plop down, not really thinking much about where I'm sitting. But between energized Bella and nervous Jayden, I took my chances. Jayden's cheeks are a dark pink when I look at him. They'd actually been a normal color since seeing Bella. He'd also been more loose, although still taking care of his sister with upmost care. I enjoyed this Jayden, the one that was comfortable in his own skin.

"Barbie!" Bella yells once Jayden hits play.

"I think she's asleep?" Jayden leans over slightly and whispers.

We were about halfway through the second movie when we hear little snores coming from our left. Somehow, throughout the movie, Jayden and I had managed to inch closer to each other. We'd started the night pretty apart but now, I had my head resting on his shoulder. My legs, that had been outstretched on the floor, were now tucked in close to me and falling on Jayden's own legs. Neither of us had said much throughout the movie, just silently watching and letting Bella enjoy it.

I look over to my side without lifting my head, "Should you take her to bed?"

Jayden nods with a soft smile playing on his lips, "Don't you wanna finish the movie?"

The sly dog.

I turn to Jayden, a knowing smile on my face. He just looks to me with his green eyes trying to read me as they always do. He's always trying to figure something out. I don't give anything away, a talent I've learned with practice. Having eyes on me, someone is always assuming something or coming up with a new wild rumor, it's impossible not to learn to hide things.

"Sure," I say simply, "But only if you do this."

His eyes furrow for a second, confused at my words. Jayden watches me as I grab his arm thats between us. I lift it up and wrap it over my head and around to my other side. Scooting towards him in the process so that I can rest my head at the top of his chest, close to his armpit. I keep my hand on his for a second too long, dropping it once I've settled.

Jayden doesn't say anything after witnessing me move him around like a stuffed bear. He only lets on a breathy chuckle that I only know happened because I feel his chest slightly reverberate.

"Are you good now?"

I nod against his chest, "Now shut up, this is the best part."

As the movie goes on, Jayden relaxes more and more. Having Bella asleep had made him
go back to his pink cheeks and nervous gaze. When I'd moved him around, I could feel him stiffen under my touch as he watched me. Only now, as the movie was coming to an end, can I sense that he is totally relaxed. He'd slowly let his hand brush against my arm. His arm, that was behind my head, wasn't tense. And his breath was slow. His heart though, that I could hear through his chest, was still beating quickly. I was almost concerned, almost.

"I think your movie is better," He tells me when the credits start rolling.

"I know it is," I answer, not lifting my head up.

"I should take you home," He whispers out as an exhale, "My parents will be back soon and it's late."

"Your mom doesn't like me, does she?" I ask,  bringing my hand up to his torso and randomly drawing circles so that I don't lash out or worse, cry.

"It's not that she doesn't like you," Jayden begins, taking a shaky breath from my sudden contact, "She's just heard the rumors."

"I hate those rumors," I mumble.

"Why'd you let them happen then?"

"I didn't think they mattered," I tell him honestly, surprising myself with my truthfulness, "I didn't care what other people thought."