"What do you mean I have a lot of explaining to do?"

"Don't play dumb, I know something happened with you and Morris yesterday. He came home all down in the dumps after your date last night and wouldn't tell me anything. That's why I asked him to invite you over."

"Okay fine, something did happen. We kinda almost kissed," I admitted sheepishly.
"You what? Wait almost? What went wrong?"

"It was a weird moment where we were sitting on a bench holding hands and just intensely staring at each other. We were about to kiss when we got interrupted and it immediately became awkward between us. We jumped practically miles apart and could barely form sentences longer than two words to each other. I got out of there as fast as I could."
"Did you talk to him at any point after that?"
"Yeah, earlier today but he made it explicitly clear that he doesn't wanna be anything more than friends," I said hopelessly.

"There's literally no way that's true," argued Katie.
"Well that's what he said so–"
"What about you, Y/N?"

I was confused.

"What do you mean?"
"Do you like my brother?"

That question kind of caught me off guard but I'd known the answer to it for a while.

"Yeah," I sighed, "but it's no use. He doesn't see me that way and he never will. Please don't tell him, I can't bear to jeopardise our friendship again," I pleaded, desperation evident in my tone.

"Don't worry, I won't. Just know that sparing a friendship doesn't have to be detrimental to your own well-being." It's like she always knew what to say.

"Thanks, Kat. Enough about my love life, what's that I saw between you and Race?" I queried trying to get my mind off of my current situation.

She immediately started gushing, "He's really cute and so funny! Oh my gosh don't get me started on his eyes and his hair! The way he smiled at me–"
"Woah there," I said amused, "I see you really like him.
"Yeah, I know we just met and this is just a stupid crush but I'm one hundred percent hooked," she replied sighing fondly, her pupils dilating.

"Guess we both have it bad, huh."
"Yeah but I refuse to hear you go on a lovesick rant about my brother." We both started laughing at that.

A look of realisation suddenly struck her face, "Wait, please don't tell Race I said all that."
I chuckled, "As long as you don't tell Morris."
"You've got yourself a deal, DaSilva."

It was getting dark so I had to start heading back. It wasn't that long of a walk but it was quite late when I got to the lodging house. Everyone was still up though.

"Hey, guys," I greeted.
"And where were youse?" asked Jack.
"Out."
"Wit' Race?" he queried, a smirk growing on his face.
"He's literally right over there," I responded blankly, pointing to where he was seated by himself.

"Well yeah, but he jus' came in. Maybe ya planned it like dat," he said, his smirk growing wider.
I rolled my eyes. "If you really wanna know, I was with my friend Katie."

At the mention of her name, Race's head snapped to face our conversation. "You was wit' Katie?"
I laughed at his reaction, "Yeah, I was telling her about your undying love for her."
"What!"
"I'm kidding, you're too easy to mess with."

"Who's Katie?" Jack asked.
"Racer's girlfriend," I teased.
"She's not my girlfriend!"
"Racer's crush," I corrected, going to sit next to Race. I mentally noted that he didn't deny that she was his crush.

"I talked to Mo earlier," I whispered.
"How'd that go?"
"Not great."

"What happened?"
"Let's just say I'll never be anything more than friends with him."
"Oh."
"Yeah, I just really like him so it was disappointing I guess."

"I's sorry, N/N." He pulled me into a hug.
I needed to change the subject. "What've you been up to today."
"Da usual, sellin' papes, winnin' bets."

We fell into easy conversation. It's nice to have a friend like Race to get my mind off my Delancey trouble.

However, when it came time to go to bed, Morris was once again the only thing on my mind. I couldn't get myself to fall asleep because that moment between us kept playing on repeat in my head.

I know that we said we'd be friends but I fear things may never the same with him again.

When I eventually did fall asleep, my dream brought me back to that moment only this time, we actually did kiss.

Everything about it was amazing, from the way our lips fit perfectly together to the feeling of his hands in my hair. It was as if there was some magic force pulling us together.

It was perfect, too perfect. Too good to be true and that was the realisation that jolted me awake.

The intense frustration made me want to scream or cry. Every fibre of my being yearned for him but there was no chance of us ever being together.

I love him.