My sober day (pt1)

I woke up, my head was throbbing I couldn't tell if it was from the uncomfortable bed,  the previous events or if it was an side-effect from the drugs. 

"I'm still fucking here, I have to get Fran and leave" I said while getting off the bed

I looked around the room, it was the same room I've had since the incident; the mini carousel was still where I left it from when I played with Fran, even after all we've been through she manages to keep her creative mindset. I bent down and turned it slightly, waiting for the music to start playing.

 'Oh sweet, sweet melody' I thought to myself. I turned my attention back to my bed, well the painting hanging next to it; a forest. The younger kids have paintings like clowns or unicorns but the older kids are stuck with the boring landscapes.

"You look just like the forest behind my house. Do you know what happened to my parents?" Jesus Christ, maybe I am going crazy, talking to paintings.

Near my bed was a clipboard, a reminder of everything that happened and everything that was 'wrong' with me..

Case: 2506200915000

Name: Y/N Bow Dagenhart 

Age: 15

Gender: 

History: The patient was found near the Oswald Asylum, laying close to their sister Fran Bow Dagenhart, both showing signs of psychosis.

//The Bow-Dagenhart family tragedy. Details omitted.

Treatment: Dr. Marcel Deern has tried different medications and all have been cancelled because of side effects.

Documented: July 25th. 1944

"I'm not even surprised. They can call me all they want but don't bring Fran into it," the audacity they have to call us psychopaths is still unreal though, we know what we saw and we know it was real, these people are the real psychos for not believing us.

My attention is brought back to my bed yet again, but this time what was above it; a large wooden cross, supposedly a sign of hope but I lost all of that when I took those fucking drugs. 'I'll pray to God so that this won't fall on my head while I'm sleeping.' 

...

Shit.

I haven't seen Fran since I passed out, questions start swarming my brain. Did Fran faint too? Is she worried about me? Is she okay?

"I need to see Fran." I grab mom's old purse and start making my way out.

I walk past a bunch of empty beds that belong to my roommates, if you can even call them that. The only bed that's not empty is Mason's. Him and I actually go way back, we shared a few classes last year up until he witnessed his dad smash his mom's head in and he had to be hospitalized here due to trauma. He hasn't recovered since, I feel bad for him, I really do. And he feels for me. Mason is the only person that believes me about my parents, him and Fran are the only people that make this place tolerable.

"Hey Mase, you alright?"

"I think we both know the answer to that," he laughs bitterly. "You finally woke up."

"Finally? How long was I out for? Just a couple of hours like last time right?"

He grimaces slightly "Yeah sure, let's say that"

"Right," what the fuck does he mean by that "I'm gonna go check on Fran, don't miss me too much." I walk out of the room, blowing him a mocking kiss.

This psych ward is literally built like a maze and I am convinced it's so that people get discouraged to see their friends. Luckily, I've gone to see her so many times that I practically have a map burned into my brain. After a bit of navigating I finally made it to my sister's room, and ofcourse the first thing I heard was.

CLANK

"Oh! Holy Moly! Something fell!"

As I walk in I immediately spot the curtain's that were previously on Fran's window. 

"Fran, what did you do?" I sigh.

"I tried to look out the window and the curtains fell" I look at the mess on the floor and something caught my attention.

"Fran look! A hook!"

"A handy hook! I'll save it so we can play pirates later." she said as she put it away in moms- her purse. 

"Fran, when did you wake up?"

"Not too long ago, maybe ten minutes?"

I hum in acknowledgment "We should probably talk to a nurse, come on," I grab her hand and drag her to the nurse's office right next to her room. It was a dull room, not that exciting in the slightest, unless you're a dying, retired woman. We walked up to the nurse's desk and she instantly took notice to us. 

"Oh, Fran and Y/n! You two are awake! Good." 

"How long were we asleep?" Fran asked.

"Three days, maybe..."

"Oh no! So many days! We should find our kitties!"

"Your cats are probably dead, girl! Now leave, I'm working!" yapped the nurse, no way that this bitch just snapped at my 11 year old sister like that.

"...Oh, I forgot! Something happened" I said, trying to contain my very obvious hatred.

"See? you two are nothing but trouble! What is it?"

"I was trying to look outside and I accidentally broke the curtains..." replied Fran, acting as innocent as possible.

"Pft, accidentally... I have to fix this, follow me!" the nurse then stood up and left the room, Fran tried to look at something on her desk but I slapped her hand away before she could.

"Don't! She would go crazy if we touch anything! We can do our snooping around later. Now come on, it's best if we follow her." Fran then nodded, agreeing with me. She held my hand and we followed the nurse.

"Something is missing... Have you seen the hook that holds the curtains up?"

"No, miss... I haven't seen anything!" Fran replied.

"Well, I have to go and find something to fix this! You little... girl."

As the nurse left, Fran and I shared a knowing smirk...

"Remember when I mentioned snooping? Now is the perfect time."

A/N

OKAY SO. I EDITED THIS LIKE ALOT. I don't think Mason will be that relevant to the plot unless I decide to make him a potential love interest, idk i doubt i will unless you guys want him to stay in the story. I am actually quite happy with how this chapter turned out. My sober day pt 2 will most likely be released on the weekend just because i am still infact a student and I have school, but i'll try to make it a longer chapter seeing as the past 2 have been quite short. I think I'll just post an a/n as a full chapter, informing people about me being active again and I'll sign off for the night. 'Til next time.

~Julka

Edited on: 03/05/2023

Word count: 1141