o n e

"Write to me every night, Adeline. I need to know what's going on," Ivan Howard said as he held his daughter's face. Her red hair blew in the small breeze as children passed by with trunks packed full of their things.

"I will, dad. You know I will," the young girl smiled, holding the man's hand. He fixed her black zip-up jacket slightly before planting a kiss on her forehead.

"I love you. Stay away from trouble this year." Adeline patted his shoulder gently and gripped the handle on her trunk.

"I make no promises," she joked. "I love you!" She followed the other children toward the scarlet train, praying she would be able to find her friends. Her father stood back, shaking his head at her as she disappeared into the crowd.

The atmosphere inside the train differed from the one outside. The volume was much lower and everyone seemed to be focused on finding a car to ride in. Several first years pushed past Adeline in attempts to find an empty compartment to sit in. She shook her head at them and began walking, checking every window for her friends.

She dodged first years and avoided the angry blows of seventh years. Her head whipped from side to side as she slowly made her way down the corridor. She had lost connection with reality and blocked out everyone around her.

That is, until someone almost knocked her over.

She caught herself on the door of a compartment, turning her head to identify the person behind her.

A group of Slytherins stood there, laughing and knocking into each other. Adeline scoffed and straightened herself up, stuffing her hands in her jacket pockets.

"Sorry, did we knock over the precious Hufflepuff?" Draco Malfoy sniggered, leaning on a darker skinned boy who held the same smug smirk.

"Fuck off, Malfoy," Adeline groaned. Her eyes rolled and she tried to turn away, only to feel a hand grip her forearm.

"Don't run away now, Hufflepuff. Did you forget I can ruin your life with one wrong word to Snape?" Draco gripped her in anger, scowling at her.

A black haired girl pushed through them, wand raised above her head. "Let go of the poor girl or I swear to God, Malfoy, I'll tell everyone in Hogwarts you slept with Daphne Greengrass." Her voice was deep and filled with annoyance. Adeline felt her arm drop to her side as she met eyes with her savior.

She had deep brown eyes. She looked at Adeline, her short hair framing her face like a picture. "I'm sorry for these dipshits," she sighed. "They don't know how to behave around people." She leaned over to pick up Adeline's trunk and elbowed Malfoy on her way up.

"Feel free to put in an angry word with a professor. These idiots deserve some harsh punishment." She pulled the boys behind her and they vanished. Adeline felt her face heat up and in her reflection in the window, she could see the red spreading onto her face.

She shook herself and continued her search, trying to forget the encounter.

"Adeline!" A muffled voice spoke, accompanied with a knock on a window. The girl turned her head and found her group. The door slid open and she was instantly pulled in.

"What took you so long?" A boy questioned, flashing her a smile. She could tell them the truth. I got caught up by Slytherins and a pretty girl helped me out but she decided against it, though lying was never her strong suit.