Chapter Twenty Two - Emelia

Emelia

The door was located in the rear end of the castle, hidden behind bushes and flowers in a section that people rarely visited. Emelia helped Damien rip off the covering of the door and it was kicked in, revealing a dark space.

        “It leads to the basement. It’s here so that if we need to get the servants out of the vault, we can get to them and give them a quick exit route,” Emelia didn’t respond to Damien’s words, just walked through the small opening.

        “Does she even know where she’s going?” Regn asked, ushering Elliot behind Emelia.

        “No,” Damien huffed.

        The four of them entered the castle, Damien closing the door behind them. It was pitch black but Emelia kept moving, which surprised Damien.

        “Emelia, can you see right now?” He asked.

        “Yes, Damien. It isn’t that dark,” she sarcastically mumbled.

        “Um, yes it is, Em. I don’t even know where you are right now,” Elliot admitted. Emelia’s face contorted in confusion. She could easily lay her eyes on Regn, Elliot, and Damien. How could they not?

        “Damien, tell me where I’m going,” the blonde changed the subject.

        “I’ll lead the way. You hold onto your brother and Regn to guide them,” Damien instructed, moving around the group to the front. His mate grabbed Elliot’s hand and Regn’s bicep and she led them through the blackness, following Damien’s lead.

        “Where is the script?” Emelia asked.

        “My office,” Damien responded as they reached the main part of the lowest level – the basement. There was enough light for Regn and Elliot to see, so Emelia let go, but made sure both were following her and the alpha.

        The castle was silent and still, characteristics that irked Emelia. The palace had always been one of sound and life, with people bustling and moving from one place to another. They quartet passed the kitchen and Emelia looked inside, thinking of Julia. Worry struck in her heart for the chef and her family. Damien looked back at her and gently called her name, giving her a comforting look that allowed her to keep moving.

        When they finally reached his office, Damien shut and locked the door, his muscles becoming tense as he rushed over to the wall. The section he was looking at was covered by a wooden chest, which was easily pushed out of the way. He bent to his knees and began punching the stone.

        “Is he fucking crazy?” Regn blurted, looking to Emelia with a horrified expression. Just then, the wall busted through and he reached into the rubble, pulling out a leather clad book.

        “No, I’m just good at hiding things,” Damien murmured, flipping through the papers quickly, careful not to tear any of the ancient pages as he did so.

        “Right,” Regn spoke.

        “This is going to take a lot out of me, but I’ll be alright. Don’t touch me and don’t try to snap me out of the trance once I get in it,” Damien commanded, looking more at Emelia than the other two. She would’ve tried to help him if she thought he was in pain.

        “Deal,” Emelia nodded, bringing her arms around herself in an attempt to find comfort.

        Damien focused on the text, starting to chant.