Interesting.

Chapter Seven.

"Mommy! I'm scared!" She could only stand there encased in ice from her neck down, heart breaking, tears rolling down her young face as the terrifying man held her mother by her neck.

Her mother's head turned at an unnatural angle. "Go find your dad sweetie, I'll handle this." She said though her mouth didn't move.

Suddenly the ice disappeared, only to be replaced with fire, engulfing her mother and reaching towards her with twisted burning hand's.
"Mommy!"

Laughter rang in her ears, drowning out the sound of her mother's scream.....

Katara gasped, shooting up right from where she had been sleeping and for a moment her lungs wouldn't work and phantom burning ate at her skin.

She clutched her neck where her mother's necklace use to lay, desperately trying to take a deep breath. Momo came over and clawed into her lap. Chattering lightly as if to comfort her.

Hugging him to her chest somehow calmed her racing heart and she was able to breathe again. The burning sensation on her skin vanished.

"Thanks Momo." She whispered, rubbing her face on his soft fur. Sokka and Aang still slept peacefully, barely shifting in their sleep and she envied them.

Ever since losing her necklace, the nightmares that plagued her childhood were back.
Shaking, knowing that attempting to fall back asleep was a wasted effort, she sighed and gently sat Momo off her lap though he stayed close to her side. He had been her comfort for the past week, curling up with her whenever possible.

She smiled at him and bent to scratch behind his ear before quietly making her way to the creek by their camp, hopeful to find peace in the cool water.

__________________________________

Flying on Appa had become something she truly enjoyed the past few months, high in the clouds was a freedom she never knew she needed. Up here, there were no nightmares, no war, no angry firebenders hell bent on chasing them.

"The clouds look so soft don't they?" She said, day dreaming about laying on one and wrapping it around herself.

Aang looked at the wistful expression on Katara's beautiful face and felt a tug at his heart.
Mind made up, he grabbed his glider. "Let's find out!" He said jumping off of Appa and into the cloud's.

Katara turned just in time to see him jump. "Aang!" She looked to Sokka helplessly. He merely shrugged his shoulders.
He was use to the Avatars ways by now.

Before she could truly panic, Aang landed back in the saddle behind her soaking wet.

"Turn's out, cloud's are made out of water." He bent the air around him to dry himself and Katara shook her head but couldn't help but smile at how happy he looked.

It didn't last long...

______________________________

Pacing, that seemed like all he did these days. The necklace hung heavy on his pale wrist, taunting him. Every time he moved, the smooth cold stone brushing against his skin. Could he bring himself to use it to get his hands on the waterbender? Just to capture the Avatar? He shook his head.

His father always accused him of being weak, soft hearted and gentle. He would do whatever it took to go home and earn his place at his father's side. If he threatened the girl, the Avatar would be like putty in his hands and the other boy would not fight him for fear of hurting her. It was the perfect plan. All he had to do was get her away from them. Why that thought made his stomach churn he refused to consider.

Weakness was why he was on this Agni forsaken search to begin with. He had no desire to live the rest of his days like this.
The shadows cast by the candles burning low danced as he moved, following his powerful form. Glancing down at the pendent around his wrist he paused, bringing up close to his face. The carving was beautiful, the perfect symbol of the water tribe. The ribbon it hung off of was surprisingly good quality, soft to the touch yet strong. Much like it's wearer had been.

Zuko froze where he stood stunned, having no idea where that unwelcome thought had come from. Anger burned hot in his chest, he was a Prince and should not be having such thoughts of a lowly peasant. He had merely been at sea too and without the company of women. He use to go to shore if he found himself in such a way but after the pitying, disgusted and fearful looks the women always gave him he stopped and finding the Avatar became his obsession. Training hours a day until his muscles screamed in from being over worked just to be prepared.

Dropping his arm back to his side he resumed his pacing and after another hour or so decided a cold bath would be better...

________________________________

After calming the spirit that had been reeking havoc on the small village, Aang could waste no time getting to the temple in the Fire Nation. He should have known they were being followed.

___________________________________

Zhao stood on the deck of his ship, his hair pulled up in a topknot common for Fire Nation citizen's. The quality of his uniform showed his rank and separated him from the rest of the men accompanying him. He had been obsessed with power all his life, determined to be better, stronger. Finding the Avatar had just been a wistful dream at one point in his life, but now, it was within reach. He'd be even more powerful than Fire Lord ozai, no longer could his former friend laugh in his face. No longer would he have to answer to anyone. All he had to do was end the little banished brat that dared call himself a prince of the Fire Nation.

Zhao smiled a cruel smile as he thought of all the ways the boy could die. The boy that should have been his but his mother had the audacity to turn him away. Claiming she would remain faithful in her loveless marriage.

Spying the pathetic size of a ship in the distance his smile widened. Yes, everything was within his reach....

I know this is a bit short but I'm really ready to get to the good parts!! Let me know what you guys think of Zhao's little bit of a backstory! I always wanted to know a bit more about him lol thanks for reading!