13

[ Narrator ]

As the days slowly passed, Max became less and less present in the studio. Some night he didn't return home at all.

When he did he was quiet and closed off.

Y/n's fears slowly ate away at her as she became more and more uneasy. Noises and shadows became a threat and she was losing more and more sleep every night.

She was afraid of everyone and everything. She would often hide when people would knock on the door, listening to them talk about her paintings.

Many people loved them and they'd leave her paints, canvases, and brushes. In exchange she would paint them a scene and leave it outside the door for whoever came and grabbed it.

[ Y/n ]

The door opened and I turned, looking at Max. He shut it and walked over to me. Max rested his head on my shoulder and looked at the painting.

"It's pretty." He mumbled, standing up and undressing himself.

"You gonna come shower with me?"

I nodded and got up, grabbing his hand. He had left on his shorts but that was all.

He opened the door and suddenly it didn't seem worth it. "No, no, no." I pulled back and he turned. "What?"

I shook my head and covered my mouth.

"No. I can't."

"Can't what?"

I turned around and put my hands on the back of my neck, scratching it harshly.

"I can't."

"Y/n, come on. We're literally just walking downstairs. You haven't showered in days. Let's go."

I shook my head and Max walked over.

He picked me up and put me over his shoulder, he was definitely twice or maybe even triple how strong he used to be.

I hit him in the back and screamed as he carried me outside the room. I was sobbing trying to get out of his grip but he was much stronger than me.

"Knock it off!" He shouted at me.

I cried and continued to struggle until he turned the corner. I gasped for air for a moment before letting myself pass out.

. . .

When I woke up, I was back in our room.

"Max?" He stared down at me from the chair, glaring harshly like it'd achieve something.

"The fuck is wrong with you, Y/n?"

"Me?! Where have you been?! I fucking needed you here to protect me!"

"From what?!"

I backed away from him and Max pinched the bridge of his nose. "I'm sorry." He muttered. I turned away and Max moved next to me.

He had washed me, which I was thankful for.

Max sat down and put a hand on my cheek. He made me look at him and leaned his forehead on mine.

"I know you're scared and confused but I just kneed you to trust me, alright?"

I nodded and brought my hands up to his cheeks, bringing him down to my level so we could kiss.

He dug his nails into my back for a moment before pulling away.

"I love you." He whispered, brushing my hair back a little.

"I know... I love you too Max." He nodded and smiled, laying down. I laid down as well, placing my head on his chest.

"Max have you been working out..?"

He hummed and laughed a little.

"Maybe."

I sighed and bit my lip.

"And... Have you been keeping your food down..."

Max sighed and shifted slightly.

"Uh- Well... Y-yeah. For the most part."

I closed my eyes and put one of my legs between his.

"I need you to try and keep it down, alright?"

I could feel Max hold his breath and he started playing with my hair. "Y/n, sometimes... I just... Stop worrying about me for now... Alright?"

I frowned and blinked back a few tears.

Too tired to argue, I sighed and nodded; muttering out a quiet 'ok'.