Chapter 4

"You wanted to see me?" A voice cut into my thoughts.

Pulling my eyes away from the article I had been staring at for the past hour, I see Rob coming through my door.

"Ah, yeah, I thought we might go through some stuff while we spend a bit of time on the green."

"Sure, sounds good. I've received emails about some new possible recruits that are looking for a place to sign up with."

"That's great, always looking to sign newbies." I reply then pause to look at my notes from Shann that have all my appointments for the day.

"So we can catch up in about an hour and half? I've got a meeting with some possible new business with a supplier in about thirty minutes." I finish, looking back up at Rob for confirmation.

Rob nods. "Yup, that sounds great. Did you want me to stay for the meeting too?"

"Nah, I can handle it." I reply before I release a huge yawn.

He chuckles. "You look exhausted by the way. Maybe you need to have a quick nap."

Shaking my head. "I'll be fine; nothing a fourth cup of coffee won't fix."

*******

"Dammit! That was a shite shot!" I say with frustration at my skills today.

"Ooooh, looks like it's going to be an easy win for me today. What's going on?" Rob asks, giving me a look of concern about my overreaction to my lackluster drive on the green.

We were on the fourth part of the 18 hole course, and my golfing was not getting any better at all.

Usually, I make an easy meal of Rob, and I'm definitely not an expert by any means. But today, I just couldn't find my mojo.

"Nothing really, shit weekend, I guess. Plus, the supplier I met with today was a tool. " I reply with shrug and give the ground a wack with my golf club.

"Hmmmm, sounds like a bit more than that. Is this about that blonde you hooked up with on Friday? I heard she caused some trouble at the hotel after you vamoosed." He replies, giving me a sideways glance.

I chuckle. "She is the least of my problems. But I think I should put more of myself into the business and less on getting laid with strangers I pick up from a bar."

"Huh, okay. But you're still coming to the party on Saturday, right? I need a wing man to help me through the night." He says with a pleading tone.

I sigh inwardly, I had totally forgotten about the party.
Every year, the company held an open day for the public to come have a go at golf. All the proceeds go to a selection of charities.

Last year was our most successful yet. So this time, we are aiming to break the record. Then later there's a live music, dinner, dancing.

"Yeah, of course." I say, thinking that it might be a really good distraction, a safer one than what I've currently been doing.

"Great." Rob says, relief washing over his face.

I let a chuckle loose.

"Well, there's the handsome face I remember!" He teased. "Pity, it took my pain to get it to reappear."

"Shut up and get in the cart so I can whip your arse."

Rob threw his head back, letting out a big laugh, and then climbed in the cart.

####

As it turned out, my arse was the one that got whipped by Rob.
Of course, it was because of all the media stuff I'd seen that had me distracted. Well, that's what I kept telling Rob anyway.