Chapter 2

The next day, I arrived ten minutes early. I sighed heavily as I waited for the elevator. The day before really messed me up. It was all Nadia's fault. If she wasn't here I wouldn't have said anything other than what I usually did. I got in the elevator and held my breath. I didn't want to face Samantha just yet. Good thing she usually comes in a little after my usual arrival.

I walked through the 11th floor lobby. It was surprisingly silent. I didn't hear the gentle hum of the vacuum cleaner, or the sound of the copy machine. That was strange. That meant that neither Gregory nor Jeremy was working. I carefully pushed open the door to the office. The entire sector was dark. 

No lights were turned on, the room was clouded in darkness. I groped the walls for the light switch, and slipped a little on something slippery on the floor. I finally manged to feel the switch on the wall, and I flicked it on. The brightness blinded me and I staggered a bit, landing on my hands. I clenched my eyes trying to shut out the light.

As I opened my eyes, I yelled and scooted backwards frantically. A fresh corpse was laying near the copy room. Blood pooled out of a wound in its head in large red halo.  It was laying on its side, arms splayed erratically as if the person was running when he was killed. My eyes fixed on the body, I recognized it as Jeffery, the mail room worker. I was too shocked to move; I felt my heart bursting through my chest.

I heard a muffled and strangled cry of man, a swan song. Slowly, I looked up.

Hoisted up from the ceiling, was Gregory, face purple and bloated, and eyes dead. 

"Dear G-" I gasped.

I suddenly felt something metal and hard against the back of my head. I heard the sound of a finger clutching a gun trigger.

"Stay quiet," said a dark voice behind me. 

"Put your hands up."

I obeyed the voice and I felt my shirt being groped and searched. I gulped. I was going to die today and I knew it. I didn't want to die, I needed to leave. Mother needed me.

The hand removed itself from my body, and I stiffened. Please don't kill me, please-

"Turn around." The voice said in a monotone. The voice was so familiar. I gulped once more, who would I know that would kill people so ruthlessly? I turned around slowly, breathing hard.

Once again, I was met with the face that I despised and loathed.

Nadia. 

The handgun was cocked in one hand was aimed point blank at my face. Her eyes cold and calculating, not even close to the invitingly naive eyes of the girl, woman, I knew. She was dressed in an all black figure clinging outfit that oozed attractive and deadly. But....her face was still the same.

"Wha-" I stumbled.

"Quiet," Nadia mumbled. 

"Walk in front of me."

"What is going-"

My head snapped back as she punched me in the nose. I clutched my face and tried to will the pain away. I down at her, confused. I was seeing, but not understanding anything.

"Do as I say, John."

I silently did as she said, and she pressed the barrel of the gun to the middle of my back. 

"Walk."

I obeyed, as she marched me out of the office and into the elevator.

"Press the first level." She said indifferent of her crime.

I did, and the doors shut. Here I was, being a hostage to a killer, in Mcdonald's. There was no goingback.

The elevator opened and she walked me to a maintence stairwell. "There are camera's everywhere you know." I whispered to her, trying to reason with her. Where was everyone? The lobby was abandoned and desolate.

"I disabled them an hour ago, relax." She clicked her tongue at me. "Go in." She gruffly pushed me. I opened the door and we walked down the stairs. 

"Why are you doing this?" I asked her shakily. 

"I'll tell you later, now go through that door," She pushed me to a door on the right to the us and I forced it open. Early morning daylight streamed down on us. We were outside at the back of the building where the garbage was. A bright yellow Ferrari was parked near a dumpster. I braced my self to run. Nadia gripped my arm roughly.

"Act normal and walk to the car."

We were apart from the traffic around us, and there was no one to help, or notice me. She pushed me in with the gun still aimed at me, and climbed in the driver's seat. She slamed the door shut and turned the key. The sports car roared and we sped off into the street.

I quickly fidgeted with the door latch. It was locked.

She smiled at me. 

"This is going to be one hell of an adventure for you Johnny."