xix. the lion's den

Start from the beginning

"Is that a yes?"

Haven thought about it for a moment, eventually saying, "It's not a no." Then, as Kie gasped in excitement, she rushed off to join Pope in the van with Arden. The girl in question was in the middle of arguing with JJ, the blonde boy partially blocking the door as he attempted to drag her back outside.

"I don't want to ride up front," she whined, digging her heels into the carpeted floor as he shot her a frustrated look. "Arden, come on—"

"Jeez, I'll ride up front," Pope sighed, shrugging at Haven before he shoved past his friends into the front seat. Arden smirked in triumph. "Problem solved. Po-Pope is riding up front." With that, she forced her way between Haven and Kie, throwing her arms around their shoulders with a content sigh. "Hello, my lovely ladies, how are we today?"

"Ard, we were talking not even ten minutes ago," Kie deadpanned, though she was cut off by JJ childishly slamming the door and stomping his way over to his seat. "Jesus, someone's in a bad mood."

"That might be because of me," Arden winced before reaching out to tap the blonde boy on the nose. "Chin up, baby, we're going gold hunting... aren't we?"

She trailed off when she realised that she had no idea what they were doing, swaying on the spot as John B reversed out of the parking lot and sped off around a corner. "Yes, princess, we are. Now get the fuck down before you hurt yourself." He gently pulled her down into his lap so she wouldn't fall backwards, huffing as she cooed and began to tease him about it. Haven watched them for a moment before turning away, JJ still unable to look at her.

"You two okay?" Kie mumbled as she nudged the girl's side. Haven shook her head. "He's angry still, and I don't blame him, I just wish he'd talk to me."

Before she was able to reply, the conversation up front stopped abruptly as Pope winked at Arden, "Got it... love-bug!" Haven furrowed her brows as Kie giggled at Arden's shiver of disgust. "No love-bug?"

"No love-bug, Po-Po."

"What did I miss?" Haven asked, prompting Arden to reach out and pat her on the head. "Just Pope being his weird self, Have."

It didn't take them much longer to arrive at Battery Jasper. It was a simple rock formation on a hill overlooking a good portion of Figure Eight, no signs of gold in sight. The pogues exchanged doubtful glances before hopping out of the van, Pope making his way over to the rock to lay the map out across it.

"We're in Battery, right here." He pointed at a particular location before tracing the nearby surroundings. "So if this is Parcel Nine, then it's somewhere North-East of here."

"Over there?" JJ frowned. "Guys, that's not Tannyhill, that's a subdivision."

"Tannyhill Plantation used to be the entire island," John B explained. "It got sold into smaller pieces over time."

Pope analysed the map again, brows furrowed in confusion while Haven moved to peer over his shoulder. She obviously didn't recognise much of it, but she saw Parcel Nine and pointed at the first landmark that stood out to her. "What about that?"

Pope followed her gaze, eyes brightening as he grinned. "Haven, you're a genius."

"Jesus, Pope, you're such a flirt," Arden smirked, though she sighed when he just shot her an unimpressed stare. Time and place, Arden, time and place. "Alright, fine. Why is Haven a genius?"

"We've got to look for an old stone wall," he said as he began to fold up the map. "Then we should hit the jackpot."

"Well, what are we waiting for? Let's get this show on the road," JJ huffed as he bounded back over to the van.