xix. the lion's den

Start from the beginning

"Does it come with a sweater vest, or do you have to buy one of those on your own?"

"Look, you promised," Kie cut off Pope with a sigh. Like Haven, she wasn't in the mood for games. She just wanted things to go back to how they were before. "You said you weren't with her."

John B went to protest but faltered, knowing there was nothing he could say. "Bro, just own it. She got you."

"Look, if you want to hang out with her, that's fine. But I'm letting you know right now that I'm not doing anything with Sarah."

"You can count me out too," Haven said, leaning forward so that Pope's arm dropped away from her shoulders. If she noticed the way his face fell, she didn't say anything, instead looking directly at John B as he frowned at them. "It's one thing for you to tell her, but if you bring her anywhere near me, I'm out."

"Oh, my god. Do you guys see her here?" John B rolled his eyes.

"She might not be here, but she's definitely left her mark on you," Arden hummed as she wandered back over, tugging on the necktie he had hanging around his neck. When he smacked her away with a glare, she raised her hands in surrender. "Jesus, I was just trying to lighten the mood. No need to hit the pregnant lady."

"Look, a little focus would be fantastic."

"I'm focusing," she hissed as he looked at her pointedly. "Have, tell him I'm focusing, the most focused here."

"Just go back to your sandwiches, Arden," Haven sighed as the girl crossed her arms defensively.

"I can't. I ate them."

"Then go get more."

"Fine then."

While she stomped off to annoy Mr Carrera into giving her more food, John B took the opportunity to move on, ignoring Kie's pointed stare and Haven's shake of her head. He didn't want to think about what they had to say. The reality was, everyone knew deep down he was lying to himself. His relationship with Sarah was so much more, he genuinely felt something for her, and neither Kie or Haven could stand it.

"We've got the map, right?"

"Yeah, but it's all out of whack because the guy was ganja'd when he drew it," JJ scoffed and gestured down at the table where John B was laying out the ancient piece of paper. Kie rolled her eyes at him, "It's because the coast has changed."

"Oh."

"So we just have to look for landmarks that haven't changed," Pope shrugged, subconsciously reaching for Haven again as she leaned back in her chair. She smothered a smile as his hand intertwined with hers under the table, cheeks tinting  pink in a way that didn't go unnoticed by Kie or JJ.

John B, on the other hand, was too busy analysing his map to quiz them. "What about the old forts?"

"Battery Jasper."

And so, with great effort (it took a lot to convince Arden to give up on her hunt for more sandwiches) they left The Wreck and made their way out to where Kie, Arden and JJ had parked the van. Arden and John B were chatting up front with Pope and JJ not far behind them, leaving Haven and Kie to bring up the rear. The latter was staring at her friend's face intently, smirking knowingly as Haven refused to meet her gaze.

"Something happened, didn't it?"

"I mean, yeah," she shrugged, shy all of a sudden. "Arden and John B fell off the Hawk's nest, they have matching casts—"

"Not that," Kie dismissed with a roll of her eyes. "I mean between you and Pope."

"Oh, my god. You're just like Arden."