17. Secrets and Answers

Start from the beginning

To not waste anymore time, Jaehyun ran towards the main door, opening it without even thinking. "I- Ten? What are you doing here?"

Ten, one of the doctors that worked in the palace, was holding a blueberry cream cheese strudel in his hand, raising an eye. "Is there a problem with me being here?"

Jaehyun shook his head. "No, just thought it was someone else," he said, opening the door wider for the doctor to come in. "You can come inside, we're just- organizing, yeah."

"Like I'm supposed to believe you probably weren't just canoodling with your boyfriend over here," Ten muttered before stepping in, surveying the lab. "Damn, this place really is messy."

Jaehyun turned his head, surprised to see Taeyong behind him, who must have followed him in case it had been Lee-eun at the door. "We're not boyfriends," he said rather quickly.

"Yeah, sure, Jae- YO! Jaemin, bud, what are you doing here, trying to get electrocuted again?" Ten shouted at Jaemin. Last week Jaemin did indeed get electrocuted and passed out for an hour, and of course Ten had to treat him. Again. For the third time that week. How does this Jaemin guy keep getting injuries?

Jaemin gave him a grin. "Of course!" he said. "We're working on some stuff right now."

"How long is this assistant phase going to last- AH SHIT, I FORGOT WHY I CAME HERE FOR!" Ten took another bite of the strudel in his hand, chewing it quickly. "Damn, Taeil's pastries hit the spot-"

"If you're here to piss me off because you didn't bring me any of his desserts, I'm going to kick your ass," Jaehyun said, only half-kidding; they were Taeil's pastries, after all.

"Oh god, I got some gossip about Si Cheng, you know how quiet he is but I managed to get some information about him from Taeil, so you know how he's like seeing this bodyguard that works here, Nakamoto Yuta-"

"HOLD UP!" Jaemin dropped the coils he had been carrying onto the table and sped walk towards Ten, his eyes wide. "Yuta as in the personal bodyguard of Prince Jisung, right? Is it true that Prince Jisung has a lover-"

Renjun groaned, slamming his head on the table. "Not this again," he muttered.

"Are you even legally allowed to talk about that should you have any info?" Jaehyun pointed out. To be honest, he had no idea who had started the rumors (he didn't even know there were rumors in the first place - in all honesty, Jaehyun rarely left the lab.)

"THAT! Is a fair point but to be fair, the King has other stuff to worry about," Ten said. "Anyways!" He took a deep breath. "My boyfriend needs your help."

Jaehyun raised an eye. He had heard about the so-called boyfriend of Ten, some guy named Johnny who worked at the palace. "What about him?"

"Well, if you can help keep it a secret-" Ten scratched the back of his neck with his free hand, wondering how much information he could spill without getting Johnny into much trouble. Sure, Johnny gave him the get-go, and Jaehyun was a close friend of Ten here in the palace, but Jaehyun, as the royal scientist, still had royal obligations, after all. "So they've been calling this dude a superhuman."

***

Jungwoo brought a plate with bread, cheese and some dried venison to the barn they had out at the field, where they kept some of the supplies they used for farming. There was a little corner up in the second floor that was hidden, which had been the perfect place to hide Lucas.

The stranger had fainted in their yard just a few days ago, when Jungwoo noticed the commotion outside when he couldn't fall asleep. He had dragged the tall male to the barn when he passed out, not answering many questions when he woke up either.