emmett

"Hi, I'm here to see Elle Woods?"

The brunette in a cheerleading uniform standing against the doorway of the Delta Nu sorority house looks him up and down with a strange glint in her eye—it's kind of frightening, Emmett thinks.

"Well, well, well, she's shown us photos of the two of you, but they really don't flatter the way you look in real life, do they?" The girl smirks a bit before extending her hand. "I'm Serena. You're Emmett, right? Emmett Forrest?"

Emmett cautiously takes her hand and gives it a firm shake.

"Um, yes, I am," he responds. "Elle's mentioned me?"

Weirdly enough, he almost can't believe she even remembers him. It's only been about two months since Elle quit Callaghan's defense team and went back to Malibu, but considering how easily she seemed to decide to completely cut ties with him and Harvard, Emmett's always thought he must not have been a terribly significant part of her life. Which makes him being here even crazier, but. Love had always been Elle's strongest argument for everything, ever since he had met her. So maybe she'd understand, if she was even still here...

"Yep," the girl—Serena—replies, popping the 'P'. "She told us everything. "

"I see..."

Emmett feels his cheeks warm a bit. As a last-ditch effort to get Elle to stay after the Callaghan incident, he had confessed to having feelings for her. At the time, he still hadn't been quite sure about how he felt, as he had never felt so strongly for anyone before, but he had been desperate to get her to stay, pulling out all the stops. Once Elle was gone, though, his feelings were only confirmed. The past two months had been awful without her.

"Well, is she here? I'm here to visit her."

"Yeah, you said so when I opened the door, silly," Serena giggles at Emmett, "She's in her room. She'll be totally stoked to see you, and since you're not Warner, I'm def chill with letting her know you're here. One sec!"

The door slams in Emmett's face, and he can hear Serena yelling ( "ELLE! There's a boy here to see you!" ) for her friend through the thick material. He waits for about thirty seconds, hearing giggles and coos from the other Delta Nu's, and can hear footsteps pounding as who he assumes is Elle races down the stairs. A hushed conversation then starts on the other side of the door.

" What do you mean, a boy? I haven't been seeing anyone since Warner!"

That's definitely Elle's voice. Emmett can't help but feel a little glad at the fact that she hasn't been dating since he last saw her.

" I think you'll be happy to see who it is!" Serena's whisper sounds.

" I'm not prepared to see anyone but you girls, I look like a hot mess. "

" Boo, you look stunning as always, and honestly, I don't think he'll care. Opening the door now!"

Emmett barely has time to straighten up and adjust his hair before the door swings open, revealing Serena and the love of his life standing there, a gaggle of sorority girls crowded behind them, trying to see what's going on.

Elle. She looks tired, Emmett notices first. A little older. Well, not older, but more mature. She's wearing sweats and a parka, her long blonde hair in braids. She doesn't look sad, but she also looks like she hasn't been happy in a very long time. She's just as beautiful as Emmett remembers.

Seeing Emmett, Elle's eyes widen, a mixture of emotions flitting across her face. Before anyone can say anything, Serena shoves her out the door and slams it shut once again. Elle stumbles a bit, not taking her eyes off of Emmett. Her face is still very difficult to read, but one emotion is very clear: shock.