Chapter 4 - A Greater Motivation

Start from the beginning

Out of anything that could have happened, no one could have expected this to be turned into some kind of advertisement. Deku had to admit that Hatsume's excitement and investment with all of the things that she made really reminded him of his old dream. He couldn't even register the fact that he smiled to her proceeding exchanges rather than starting to get annoyed with them.

But then Deku got to see the same amount of determination in Shinso with winning. The other student finally started to make his move. As if he was dreaming, Deku snapped back into reality, giving his full attention again to Shinso and steadying his pencil in order to write. It was surprising how the 2 combatants both had an impact on him to some degree.

Shinso prepared to throw his first punch, while Hatsume stayed in one spot entirely. She blocked it at the last second, seeing an opportunity to show off the arm piece that protected her. He wasn't necessarily losing his cool, since he knew that Hastume didn't have a quirk suitable for a hero either; a quality they both shared. He started to speak when she didn't have the room to ignore him, as his attacks continued.

"Don't you know that this is a fight?! Why aren't you using your skills to win it?!"

"Oh, right. I should probably wrap this up--"

He finally got a reply off of her.

She froze, her arms resting at her side.

"Turn around and walk out off bounds."

She did so almost robotically, and Shinso won himself the match.

The grounds were silent at first, but then Shinso's peers made sure to make it known that their classmate won. The audience's awe turned into excitement, as they started to cheer for the General Studies student. But personally, Mr.Aizawa didn't need to see him win in order to see him as good enough. He already knew that Shinso's place was in the hero course, along with every other student trying just as hard as him each day. Despite his quirk.

The indigo haired boy smiled sadly, knowing that this would be the only round that he'll get to win. Still, he pushed the feeling aside just for now, and made sure that he didn't let any moment go to waste.

He got the girl's attention, after making sure she had free will. "Hey."

She looked at him slightly in a daze, this time giving him her full attention. "Hm? Is it already over?"

"...Yeah. Good luck on your next round."

The events that played suddenly hit her, and she eagerly shook his hand. "I don't think we met before, but same to you stranger!"

If that was his quirk that put her in such a daze, then he was the reason as to why she had more ideas for her next models!

Deku rested his pencil between the 2 pages he wrote in, and flashed a second genuine smile. This time not for Hatsume, but for Shinso.

"So that's his quirk. Brainwashing."

Researching quirks was definitely something he would never get bored of, especially if the person was as committed to using it like the many that attended Yuuei.

The platform was basically spotless, and to most people Hatsume's speech alone was the commercial break. Therefore, Midnight continued with the other battles, and Deku continued with his notes. All until it was time for the final match between Bakugou and Todoroki. Everyone seemed to be most excited about this one. However, Todoroki still showed no sign of using his left side.

As soon as they got the ok to start, Bakugou took a total of only 4 seconds to get into range for close combat. However, Todoroki made it clear he was trying to keep his distance, at least for now. He used a block of ice to prevent Bakugou from attacking, and made a barrier to prevent him from going out of bounds.

He broke through it and sent a flying kick to the ice maker's face. He blocked with his arm, but the impact still caused him to stagger back. Failing to reach Todoroki, he retreated backwards, blowing the mountain of ice trailing him to bits. He continued to use the same tactic to overwhelm Bakugou, but his classmate dodged and countered with ease. He eventually started getting frustrated, and used his explosions to finally get to his target. The heat was reaching Todoroki, but it couldn't keep up with the severity of his frostbite.

"Don't you dare give out without using your fire!" Bakugou demanded, setting an explosion to his stomach.

Gripping his stomach forcefully to quickly regain his composure, the boy swayed right to swing his left hand at his opponents face.

Like a boomerang, Katsuki dodged and reappeared in seconds, sending an explosion to his face.

The moment Todoroki tried to draw back to recover, blinded and vulnerable, he was flung across the side of the platform.

Todoroki couldn't soften the impact and fell on his side, but not before slamming hard into the ice that protected him from going out of bounds.

With a shakey hand, Todoroki sent an ice spear shooting towards the student who looked basically untouched, but Bakugou easily blew it to pieces.

Bakugou grabbed his shirt, and held him all the way up for everyone to see.

"Your attacks are getting weaker!" Bakugou huffed, erupting small explosions to manage his own body temperature. He shook the boy as he dangled from his fist. "You hear me?! Use it!"

Todoroki didn't reply, trying lift his arms to pry his hand away. He wouldn't use it. He didn't need it. He wouldn't give in just because the situation called for it.

Deku, who was once frustrated with Todoroki's resolve, was now starting to worry about him. Sure he still thought that he was being wasteful and dismissive with some of his strengths, but that didn't mean he deserved even close to being forced out of his shell! That same aggressive situation made Deku exactly how he is now; unable to find peace with letting things go. What's worse is that it's being caused by the same. Exact. Person!

The last thing he needed was for it to happen to someone else. He just couldn't wish that on a stranger. Deku gripped his pencil, almost breaking it, until finally Midnight put Bakugou to sleep.

Inko put a reassuring hand on her son's shoulder, as a sign that it was over. She knew it was hard to watch. The muscles on the boy relaxed, but he was mentally too tired to fake something as little as a laugh.

If Bakugou really thought he belonged in Yuuei after that, then Deku was sure as hell ready to bring down the storm.