Chapter II

Three Years Later

Tanjiro, now aged 13, was doing simple combat exercises with his 15-17-year-old counterparts. "It's astonishing," said Yenjo. "He's only been here for 3 years... Yet he's on par with my own children." He mused while stroking his beard as the attendant placed tea before him. "I agree, Master Uzui. His growth and obedience are almost astonishing. The Sumiyoshi Clan truly did have some extraordinary members." Said his friend, Yuhi Kenmo of the Kenmo Clan. "Mmm, he's giving Tenji a run for her money with his flying kicks... He has this way of moving."

"Like?"

"Like he's neither engrossed nor is he unfocused. He's enjoying it yet holding back. He's giving her time to recover while not making it obvious. Like... he's dancing."

"Dancing?"

"Watch. He's reading her movements to complete the choreography akin to a stage play and counteract it. It's just like Tengen's abilities to break down a fight into a musical sheet. It's just beautiful." He smiled. 

The next day

They were training their balance above sharpen pieces of wood. Their feet rested on boards I above the ground. As they balanced, they heard a crack. "Tell me that was something else," Tenmu pleaded, looking at his board. "Stay calm," Tengen reassured. The board cracked more and more until it snapped and Tenmu slipped.

"Tenmu!" Tanjiro and Tengen sohuted. They dove of their boards. "Well...Totally not awesome."

Tengen and Tanjiro both grabbed a pole as their hands collided with his... but it was too late. It was like everything slowed. They watched his back begin to arch, making way for the spikes beneath to pierce it without remorse nor mercy. His blood glazed it gently and dressed his broken body like water from the heavens. His smile faded from sight. Here ends the life of an Uzui.

Hours later

"Father! Your son just died and you don't care!? What about us!" Tengen shouted. His siblings sat behind him as he confronted his father. "It's called survival of the fittest."

"What? That was your youngest son! Our brother!"

"So? He was weak. He could've easily-"

"Okay, that is some bullcrap! At least feel something! I raised these people since they were born better than you have and yet you have the audacity to say that? He was my brother! He was my little brother! It's bad enough that you don't respect women or those who are weak... Or even mother" Tengen's eyes watered. His siblings shed a few tears. "This has nothing to with your mother. She was simply a tool necessary for your creation. I don't care who dies, as long as the Uzui family never dies."

"You sunnava-"

Before he could move, Tanjiro hugged him from behind and said, "That's enough. We get the point. Violence won't change anything."

"Your right... I'm taking my kunoichi and leaving. I will not stay any longer!"

He turned his back and left, ignoring the shouting of his siblings. "Father..." Tenji started. "I hope you're happy with yourself. You just lost the hardworking child you could ever ask for."

Similar accidents occurred over and over again.

Tenshi- Fell off a cliff

Tenma- Died during poison training

Tenko- Heat stroke

Tenken- Hypothermia

Tenma- Killed in Action

All who remained were Tenta, Tenji and Tanjiro. Tenta adopted his father's way of thinking. Tenji became shrouded in silence. Tanjiro is the same... Mostly.

"Uncle." Tanjiro greeted. "Why do you want to speak with me?" Yenjo sighed, sipping his tea. "I wish to leave." He stated. "Why?"

"It is time I search for my first wife. None of the ones presented is worthy of being my bride." Tanjiro monotoned. "Oh? And where do you wish to find your partner?" "I do not know. That is why I'm requesting permission to search the land."

"Hmm... 6 months. You must find her in 6 months or you'll marry someone of my choosing."

"Understood."

Tanjiro thoughts: Now I have an excuse to look for Tengen!

He spent the next few days tracking his scent by sheer will alone. It was hard but he eventually got a lead. It was a mansion. A group of 9 people kneeled before a man with a disfigured face and what looked to be his children. There, among them, was Tengen Uzui. Tanjiro laid on the roof and watched.

"We're here to discuss the recent decline of demons in our region. It would seem you all have time to rest." SAid the disfigured man. "Master, we Hashira are not known for vacations!" Said one with flaming yellow hair and red highlights. "Well said." A female said. "A flamboyant vacation is one where I can slay demons! Haha!" Yup, that was Tengen.

They began conversing a little when Tengen wore a tired expression. "Is something the matter, Uzui-san?" Asked their master. "Someone is watching us."

In a blink, he was gone and Tanjiro was kicked to the floor. "Why are you here, Tanjiro!" He shouted. "Did you have to kick me?" HE wheezed. "Why... are you here? If Father sent you-"

"I came looking for you," Tanjiro replied while standing up. "Uzui, who is this boy?" ASked a tall man with pure white eyes. "Oh, is he one of your siblings!?" ASked one with pink hair. "Cousin." They both spat. "Gommenasai."

"Now, why are you here? The truth."

"Our siblings are dead. I thought it best to find and tell you. You've been gone for 3 years, Tengen." Tanjiro said. "What!? Impossible."

"Only Tenshi and Tenta remain. The rest are dead. I came to tell you under the pretence that I was looking for a wife. You need to come home... Please."

"I am never, ever, going under the same roof as my father ever again. Never!"

"I don't blame you. Anyway... who are these people? I didn't know you joined a book club." He joked. "Hey! It was one time!" Tengen whined. "Interesting." Said the purple-haired female. "Hey, Tengen used to sing us to sleep y'know. He loved reading haikus. This one time he-" He was stopped when Tengen covered his mouth.

"I swear to god." He sighed. "Hee hee. So uh... you're a demon slayer now?"

"Yep."

"Uncle would be proud."

"If he knew what pride is."

"Fair. Anyway... I guess I'll join ya. I have nothing better to do."

"Mmmm... sure."

Words 1013

Posted 6/27/2021

Sorry for the crappiness. Needed to highlight shit and move the plot forward