Chapter 3

Once again pulling into his driveway, Linguini parked his car before looking down at Remy. He picked the small mammal up, getting out of the car as he took the rose with him. Noticing the sun now out, Linguini sighed. Guess I brought the umbrella for nothing...

Leaving the umbrella in the car, he headed over to the front door, opening the front door as he stepped inside. He set Remy down on the end table of his couch before taking his shoes off. After slipping his shoes off, he took off the jacket he wore to the lunch meeting before hanging it up inside the closet. Walking to his kitchen, he found a vase and filled it with water before carefully setting the rose inside. Hopefully the flower would live longer now.

Linguini looked back to the end table, noticing Remy was missing. His heart skipped a beat as he saw this, starting to look around a bit panicked as he did. "Remy?" Linguini rushed to the couch, looking underneath desperately only to see no one.

He ran around the house, searching everything he could to find his beloved Remy. Under the table, on the counter, on the bookshelves, but he couldn't find anything. However, as he heard a squeak, his heart fluttered. It came from his bedroom.

 Rushing to his bedroom, Linguini looked around, sighing with relief once he spotted Remy on his dresser. The small animal seemed tired out, possibly because he had to climb all the way up onto the dresser. He was such a skilled chef, even in ways outside the kitchen.

He picked up the furry creature carefully, setting him down on his pillow gently. Remy soon fell asleep, his fur rising and falling as he slept. Linguini smiled a bit at this, pulling his hand away from Remy. Sighing a bit, he walked out the room and to the kitchen, propping himself up on the countertop as he thought to himself. Why has his heart been pounding so much?

 Being near Remy was setting his heart aflutter, but why? He'd barely known the small animal, and this was his first time reuniting with him for the first time in years. Was a spark he'd ignored been lit? What if this was all destiny?

His mind racing, Linguini sighed, hiding his face in his hands. It shouldn't be such a big deal, but that didn't stop his face from heating up, and fast. Remy had been so nice, and now that they had a form of communication, perhaps they could... work out?

"Dang it, Remy... You're making my feelings get all mushy..." He muttered that to himself quietly, looking down at the slick kitchen floor as he continued speaking aloud. "Why am I like this? Why does my heart keep pounding, and why does my face feel so hot? Could it be I..."

Linguini shook his head. No, that was ridiculous. There's no way it happened so fast. There's not way at all! But his heart... It told him a different story.

"Do I... Love him...?"

Feeling something touch his hand, Linguini jumped a bit, looking down at his hand to see a familiar hand on his. It was Remy's.

His face burned up at this realization. Had he heard everything? Linguini got up, feeling awkward as he turned his face away. "I-I didn't mean any of that! I was, uh, reciting a scene from a b-book I read once..."

Before he knew it, he now felt something on his shoulder. The small rat had crawled onto his shoulder, and was now watching him with his eyes. His bright, brilliant eyes. And in a flash, time had stopped. Remy had kissed his cheek, instantly causing Linguini's face to burn more than ever.

"Y-You... Do you love me too...?"

Shyly, the creature nodded, a faint smile on his face as he curled up on his shoulder. Linguini smiled brighter than he ever had, petting his blue fur carefully. He'd never been happier.

Walking back to his bedroom, Linguini sat down, holding Remy close as he did. "I love you, you amazing creature..."

Remy squeaked a bit, nuzzling onto his hand as they closed their eyes together. Their new lives would begin. And even if others never understood, it would be okay. All they needed was each, and things would work out.