Chapter 1

The car drove along the dark roads, the rain pouring down onto the roof of the metal vehicle. The man driving looked out the window, his bright brown eyes looking around the side of the street, hoping to spot the restaurant he had left so long ago. After seeing the bright lights of the building the next street over, he smiled softly before driving to the next street and pulling up into the parking lot. The lights reflected on his eyes as he stepped out, pulling out an umbrella from the back seat to cover himself from the water raining down from the dark clouds above.

He immediately recognized the name of the infamous restaurant before him: Gusteau's. Taking a deep breath, he opened the front door and walked in, looking around for the one he had known all those years ago. He froze as he looked at the counter, recognizing the one he saw; Remy, the one he had aided all those years ago. He walked over to the counter and waved shyly at the familiar clump of blue fur. "Remy, hey!"

The rat's ears perked up before looking back, a faint smile appearing on his face before crawling over to the edge of the counter and looking up to the curly haired boy as he squeaked a bit, dragging a sheet of paper and pencil with him. The small rodent began to write on the paper, shocking the boy. When did his old friend learn to write...?

A few silent moments passed, his shock leaving him in silence, before the paper was pushed towards him. Looking down at the paper, he quietly read what was written.

'Hi, Linguini. Where's Colette? I thought I matched you two together until you guys left to move into a new house together.'

Linguini chuckled awkwardly as he read this. "She, uh... Broke up with me. I guess I just wasn't her type..." Linguini sighed a bit, pushing Colette out of his mind before he spoke. "So, I moved back here, and wanted to see how the restaurant was doing! When'd you learn to write?"

He watched the small mammal take the paper back and write something else. It was slightly amusing to watch Remy struggle with the large pencil, but the human tried to restrain himself from giggling at the sight. After another few moments of silence, the paper was pushed back towards Linguini.

'I learned the year after you left so that I can talk to the chefs! My writing is a bit messy, though. Sorry to hear about you and Colette.'

The curly haired boy chuckled a bit at this. "It's only natural for your writing to be messy for... Obvious reasons." Looking at the rest of the note, he sighed a bit before smiling sadly at the blue-furred rat. "But don't worry, I'm fine without Colette. I just wish she wasn't so loud. Then again, Colette's just normally loud..."

Remy squeaked repeatedly at this, as if he were laughing, before quickly writing one final thing. Gently picking up the paper, Linguini read what was written on the white sheet of paper.

'Want to eat dinner at the cafe across the street tomorrow? I'll be free at noon.'

Linguini smiled happily at this, excited for the chance to catch up with his old friend. "Of course! I have to unpack some boxes, but yeah, I'll definitely meet you there tomorrow. I better leave and let you work. I'll see you tomorrow, then." Linguini waved at him to show he was leaving, causing Remy's small hand to wave back. Linguini then headed back outside, holding his umbrella above his head as he headed back to his car. As he opened the car door, he swiftly sat down on the chair driving back to his house. Maybe this is a good outcome, and maybe it was for the best that he and Colette had split if this was the result.

 Pulling into the driveway of his house, Linguini unbuckled his seatbelt as he parked on the concrete driveway. He got out of the car calmly, walking inside the small house before setting his umbrella down in a small closet. Closing the door behind him, he sighed a bit as he slipped off his shoes and walked into his bedroom. Quietly, he sat down on the edge of the bed before laying back calmly.

Watching the ceiling, Linguini sighed as he closed his eyes. All he has to do is fall asleep and wake up, right? He knew he should keep unpacking, but he just couldn't wait. He couldn't explain why, but he was just anxious to have the chance to catch up with Remy. Even if he had to wait until noon, he could hold out. As long as he and Remy can reconnect. And with that, his eyes closed as he drifted off to sleep.