Chapter 42 - The Unsaid

Start from the beginning

"Why are you gearing up for a battle that will never be fought?"

Her eyes hardened with a steely glint. "Because Bir is precious to me. You know that."

"Yes, I know. But you know you've lived the pain of not having him in your life, Shirley. It's time to rejoice and bask in the love that he is wrapping you around in."

"I know the pain and hence the fear, Arnav." She deadpanned.

"You don't trust your Bir?"

"I don't trust life."

"Then don't get into this. Because you won't survive for long this way." Arnav turned away from her and focussed his eyes on Kabir, who was now balancing the football on his forehead while Saahil was trying to tickle him. "You've spent many years wanting him in your life. You cannot possibly spend the rest in fear of losing him, Chhoti. When will you love and live?" His eyes narrowed as he glanced at the hammock hung in one corner of the garden. "And as far as Khushi is concerned, I assure you she is fighting a battle of her own which has nothing to do with you or Kabir. So I can tell you right now that—"

"She sings, and he plays the guitar." She paused and looked at him. "They've grown up together playing pranks on people, been there for each other through so many things for so many years. It's like they are a team, and I feel—I will always be an outsider. That bond— I can never have it with him."

"By saying this, if you are telling me you are feeling insecure, I will respect your feelings. It is human to feel insecure about someone you love. But don't make this bigger than what you both share. Because it is not."

She kicked a pebble lying near her foot. "I understand what you mean, Arnav. And I have seen a different kind of matured yet crazy Bir falling for me all these years. But the way they are together makes me want to weep at times and —"

 "Or you could look at it as pure friendship and give those tear ducts a break"Arnav smiled. "This is how they have been since they were kids. Even before the word love entered their lives. It's an enviable bond, and they are lucky to share that, Shirley. And if you can see how happy it makes them, you won't mind or question it and be happy with them. They are not selfish. They will pull you into their madness and share it with you too. And you should know by now that after all their pranks are done, and the singing and playing is over, his eyes will always seek you. You are the home he will come back to. That says it all, doesn't it?"

She dropped her gaze. A single tear spilled free, and she dashed it away, determined not to cry in front of him. Not to be weak. "You charm your way through anything or anyone with words, don't you? I think I fell for the wrong brother." She said with a sniffle.

"You didn't." He chuckled. "And stop flirting with me. I have to keep the sanctity of our relationship intact. My brother didn't kill me the last time, but this time he most definitely will." He winked, and her lips curved into a smile.

"Can I ask you something, Arnav?"

"Anything else other than Khushi."

"Damn you." She smiled. "Four years! You need to change that line now."

He chuckled. "Did you bring my chocolate cake?"

"Yes and—"

"Black Forest?"

She nodded. "How can I forget that one?"

"Good." He smiled. "You don't forget things. See, that's another plus! How's the bakery doing now? Has your uncle withdrawn the case?"

"Yes. Thank god for that. And Shaun is managing the bakery for now. Papa is still recuperating, but I am sure he will bounce back in no time."

"Anything you need, Shirley," He said, looking into her eyes, "I mean it, anything or any time .. whatever help you need—"